Headed for the Mountains
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Interest: Board games, Eurogames, Python, Plone and Jeeps.
My list for Southwestern BC:
* Best Forest I Have Travelled Through: Sigurd Valley - the trees are not especially large specimens, but the sustained travel through pristine forest is very impressive. The trail is also very well built. Although I have not yet done Elaho. Statlu Lake has some wonderful trees, although it is a smaller grove.
* Best Lake I Have Swam In: Vicar Lakes. This little lake warms right up and has a rocky shore - pure heaven in late August when the bugs have settled down.
* Best Rock I Have Scrambled: The Old Settler. Daiphy Lake also rates up there with Vicar Lake for swimability. The approach is quite lengthy though, and the Talc Creek gate is apparently locked this summer due to logging.
* Best Views: Tricouni Meadows. A plethora of lakes and meadows, and impressive views towards Garibaldi and Tantalus.
* Most Travelled Trail: Crown Mountain. If you fork over the cash for the gondola, the tourists rarely venture much beyond Dam Mountain, allowing you to get into remote, rugged, steep terrain with a minimum amount of approach time. Runner-up would be Mount Seymour, but the bugs can get pretty crazy up there in the summer.
* Best Hike I Have Yet To Do: Needle Peak. I keep meaning to do it, and then always choose another destination. One day soon ...