ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   'Must Do' day hikes in Lower mainland (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/21854-must-do-day-hikes-lower-mainland.html)

andigo 07-24-2007 12:34 PM

'Must Do' day hikes in Lower mainland

Hello All,
I'm fairly new to Vancouver, and really keen to hike some of the great trails in the area. So I've got the classic '103 Hikes in Southwestern British Columbia' book. But 103 to choose from and only a few months of nice weather left!!
I was hoping to get some discussion going as to what you all consider to be some of the 'must do' day hikes in the area, maybe 5-10 that would cover off some of what BC has to offer!

Much appreciated,
Andrea

Rock Star 07-24-2007 12:45 PM

Black Tusk/Garabaldi Lake- best done as an overnighter, or one long day.

The Lions- this one is nice to do with 2 vehicles. You can start off in lions bay and hike to the cypress parking lot. you will go from the lions to unecessary mtn (yes it is), st. Marks, and pass in front of Strachan. A long day but a great hike.

Goat mountain- a nice short day hike from the grouse chalet, or you can skip the tram ride and start the hike with the Grouse Grind. beautiful view up her of hanes valley and the peaks beyond.

Colliseum- really enjoyed this one, but again, it's a good grunt. More enjoyable as an overnighter for sure.

Lake lovely Water-Never been, but everyone I've talked too who has rates it in there top five. I plan to do this before summer's out.

David and Karen 07-24-2007 02:30 PM

#1 Garibaldi Lake to Panorama Ridge - ideally an overnight hike but the lake can be reached in a day

#2 Joffre Lakes - It's past Pemberton but you will be hard pressed to find a maderate trail with such consistently incredible scenery

#3 Wedgemont Lake - It's a tough day hike but the only one which has scenery comparable to the ones mentioned above

There are a lot of other very nice hikes - but these three are far and away the most scenic

keefer 07-24-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

#3 It's a tough day hike but the only one which has scenery comparable to the ones mentioned above

I like #3 :D

Peak Bagger 07-24-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by keeferI like #3 :D
You're missing the fun, Keefer! We have to guess at which hike David and/or Karen is talking about. :D My guess is Mamquam Lake. [8D]

PB

Marc 07-24-2007 02:50 PM

26 Attachment(s)
Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Peak Bagger

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by keeferI like #3 :D
You're missing the fun, Keefer! We have to guess at which hike David and/or Karen is talking about. :D My guess is Mamquam Lake. [8D]

PB
I'd guess Wedgemont Lake.

esb 07-24-2007 02:50 PM

Always a very subjective topic.

Do you want a peak destination with 360 degree panoramas ?
Are you after a long high elevation ridgeline hike ?
Or do you like the workout aspect of climbing & descending steep rooty trails ?
Or a long meander through alpine meadows in peak bloom ?

I personally have always liked Cypress Bowl to the West Lion on the HSCT, because I like the constant up & down plus the ridgeline hiking ... but others hate it due to the steep rooty grunt up to Unnecessary Mtn, and the "waste" of elevation gain dropping down from St Marks & then having to regain it all back on the other side.

David and Karen 07-24-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

quote:I'd guess Wedgemont Lake.
That would be correct - sorry about that

andigo 07-24-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by esb

Always a very subjective topic.

Do you want a peak destination with 360 degree panoramas ?
Are you after a long high elevation ridgeline hike ?
Or do you like the workout aspect of climbing & descending steep rooty trails ?
Or a long meander through alpine meadows in peak bloom ?

I personally have always liked Cypress Bowl to the West Lion on the HSCT, because I like the constant up & down plus the ridgeline hiking ... but others hate it due to the steep rooty grunt up to Unnecessary Mtn, and the "waste" of elevation gain dropping down from St Marks & then having to regain it all back on the other side.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

In answer to your questions esb, I enjoy all the aspects of hiking that you mentioned - its great to have variety. I guess for me, the key elements to a hike are scenery, exercise and just being somewhere you can't take cars!

DW2 07-24-2007 04:38 PM

Intersting how all the hikes mentioned are from Vancouver to Pemberton....How about out east? Chilliwack, Manning, and even Golden Ears offer a range of excellent hikes with views. You should do a few from the main areas to get a good overview.

Manning: 3 Brothers and skyline
Chillliwack: depends on if you have a 4x4 Cheam, MeGuire and McFarlane
Golden Ears: Alouette and Golden Ears Mountains

Wheat 07-24-2007 05:34 PM

My list for Southwestern BC:

* Best Forest I Have Travelled Through: Sigurd Valley - the trees are not especially large specimens, but the sustained travel through pristine forest is very impressive. The trail is also very well built. Although I have not yet done Elaho. Statlu Lake has some wonderful trees, although it is a smaller grove.

* Best Lake I Have Swam In: Vicar Lakes. This little lake warms right up and has a rocky shore - pure heaven in late August when the bugs have settled down.

* Best Rock I Have Scrambled: The Old Settler. Daiphy Lake also rates up there with Vicar Lake for swimability. The approach is quite lengthy though, and the Talc Creek gate is apparently locked this summer due to logging.

* Best Views: Tricouni Meadows. A plethora of lakes and meadows, and impressive views towards Garibaldi and Tantalus.

* Most Travelled Trail: Crown Mountain. If you fork over the cash for the gondola, the tourists rarely venture much beyond Dam Mountain, allowing you to get into remote, rugged, steep terrain with a minimum amount of approach time. Runner-up would be Mount Seymour, but the bugs can get pretty crazy up there in the summer.

* Best Hike I Have Yet To Do: Needle Peak. I keep meaning to do it, and then always choose another destination. One day soon ...