Weather in May in Northern BC? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Default Weather in May in Northern BC?

Hi Guys and Gals. I'm planning a trip hitchhiking from Prince Rupert to Whitehorse, taking Highway 16 and then 37. What kind of terrain and weather am I going to encounter? Will the weather permit roadside camping? Any advice? Thanks, Mushroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Summit Master

After living up north for three years, I can tell you to expect the seasons to be about one month behind here on the lower mainland. I have had it snow on me while I was camping the May long weekend. Expect it to be rainy in the mountains from Prince Rupert to Hazelton.

There should be a continuous stream of American RVs heading back up to AK for the summer by late Apr and through May. The Cassiar Hwy was not paved when I was on it. It went through some totally awesome country. Keep in mind that the Hwy goes through prime griz country too.

See you on the mountain!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Hey Mushroom, you didn't say when you intended to do your trip, but I live in MacKenzie,B.C. and we are just now seeing temps. in the plus side. The route you'll be taking is far less traveled than hwy.97, so getting a ride might be a bit tougher. We still have snow until the end of April and it's always a coin toss as to weather we can get out the canoes for May longweekend. The way you are going is (so I'm told) quite nice but also remote. Have a great trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 05:19 AM
Summit Master

Hey darren,

How's the snow up at Powder King in the Pine Pass this year?

See you on the mountain!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:47 PM

The snow at Powder King has been awesome this year, although I didn't get there as much as I would have liked to.

As for hitch-hiking all that way, I would be more inclined to stick Hwy 97 on the way up and maybe try and meet up with someone while you are up there to come back the Cassiar with. Besides, there are more places to find shelter in our unpredictable May weather!

Have a great trip!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page