ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Bear Bells yay or nay?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backcountry camping, hiking, photography, painting, birding, canoeing, snowshoeing etc..
Default Bear Bells yay or nay?

With being what I humbly consider a well seasoned camper/ hiker and backpacker this topic has always intrigued and amused me..the whole bear bell saga, to attach one of these annoying and peace shattering devices to one's pack and venture fourth into wilds.
Admittedly they do make enough noise to drive a small army away but do they actually scare off the bears which they are intended for?
My experience has always been that when we hear bear bells on the trail it was usually from a group of newly minted backpackers hiking for the first time...and having likely picked them up at the local souvenir shop prior to hitting the trail, they've always sounded like a small herd of cattle as they meet at the trailhead, clanking in unison.
So the age old question remains, yay or nay to bear bells?

Just for the record, in a moment of weakness..we do have our own Silverfoot bear bells that we picked up decades ago and never used..they sit lonley, unappreciated and a bit dusty in our gear room.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome