ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Bikepacking from Port Alberni to Swartz Bay

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Zoran
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Thank you both for support.

Helen, you really need wider tires for unpaved roads between Port Alberni and Lake Cowitchan. I this trip tried to go off paved roads as much as possible. Cowitchan Valley Trail and Galopping Goose trail you can do nicely with panniers and touring setup.

Took Tofino bus, from Vancouver to Tofino and then biked from Tofino on back roads to camp. Next day biked to Ucluelet. Total distance was maximum 60km. From Ucluelet I took Tofino bus up to Port Alberni. From Port Alberni took me 3 days to Victoria Swartz Bay (average 100km per day).

When I saw Hgwy no 4 I knew I was not going to bike on such a narrow paved road without bike shoulder. I made mistake going to Tofino. I should get off in Port Alberni and start biking to China Creek campground. But it was good in general. Tofino and Ucluelet were spectacular but busy. Weather wasgreat.

I wan't to bike some remote places around and try to fly fish with my tenkara rod.

Zoran

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome