ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Poll: Handheld GPS vs. Smartphone with Offline maps

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
pdomansky
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.
Default Poll: Handheld GPS vs. Smartphone with Offline maps

I haven't seen any recent threads (in the last couple of years) with discussion of people using their Smartphone as a navigation tool, vs a dedicated handheld GPS. (Garmin, Magellan, etc). With the advancement in technology of smartphones (longer battery life, faster processors, more rugged (ipx rating water/dust resistance) - my question to everyone is:

Who is using their smartphone as their #1 navigational tool?

- This includes recording tracks/waypoints/routes
- Also includes using to follow an existing track/route

Who is using a standalone traditional handheld GPS?

- This includes recording tracks/waypoints/routes
- Also includes using to follow an existing track/route

Though I have both (A traditional handheld GPS) - As of late, with the purchase of a new water resistant (it can be submerged in 1M of water for 30 minutes) and dust resistant phone, I have opted to use my phone as a standalone navigational tool to record my tracks and follow pre-recorded routes).

My reasons are as follows:
- Battery life in airplane mode with high accuracy (A-GPS) turned on lasts 2 full days of hiking and only having used 50% battery. (I have not been on a long enough trip to test the full battery capacity).
- Far easier to navigate and use compared to handheld GPS.
- More in depth information available.
- More software options available.

What are everyone's thoughts/input? Just curious!

“Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” - Yvon Chouinard

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome