Thread: MV = Metro Vancouver Mt. Harvey update
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 AM
guntis
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
the problem always is, is trying to assess where the cornice starts and stops for lack of a better term. Or, where it might be supported and where not. Better just to stay off the wicked things. Any time I've been on one I've always been on a rope with the belayer below me. That way should I go thru my fall can be arrested instead of my belayer descending with me. This is the largest one I've seen and been near; on Mount Robson's summit. Believe me, it's far larger than it looks
Yes, this would be best practice. Conservative approach, roped up. But realistically, Mt Harvey is traditionally a pretty safe destination. No one would be roped up (unless coming up from the ramp on the north side).

Also, a cornice doesn't simply break off with a vertical cut. When it "breaks", the snow that goes with it slides off at a diagonal. So it's possible the people thought they were far enough back. But snow pack was massive so it could have been underestimated.

It's a tragedy that I've thought about a lot. I find it hard to find fault in this incident. Conditions were unusual and it's quite possible that it was difficult to identify the danger. My thoughts go out to the families.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome