ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Struggles with photography

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 PM
guntis
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Having great respect to Vern' photography skills, over the years I learned to trust implicitly when he says something, and use it as opportunity to learn something. But I found this statement surprising (specially as one of Vern' commandments used to be "shoot RAW"). So I thought I'd test this (I shoot exclusively RAW for years). So here are results:

[Photo 1: JPG, straight from the camera. No editing of ANY sort, except for cropping and resizing]

[Photo 2: RAW, with about 5 minutes worth of post-processing in PS - including highlights/shadows adjustment, vibrance filter, contrast enhancement, warming filter, Levels layer for the sky, Color balance filter for whole background. Smart sharpening. At the end same cropping/resizing as for photo 1]

Which photo looks better? I don't know -- I was surprised how good non-processed JPG coming out of camera looks. Lens profile correction was included (something I always have to do in Camera RAW), and color balance looked really well -- possibly better than what eye saw while shooting.

I will leave final verdict to judgement of audience, but I think shooting RAW+JPG makes most sense. So for 90% of photos from the hike, JPGs will be more than sufficient, with lots of time saved. But for these really special ones, with great light, worth investing extra time in post-processing (to produce great print perhaps) it is worth having RAW as well.
This is really interesting. Both photos look great. I agree that the post-processed RAW photo is slightly better, but that's a lot of effort for a 5% improvement.

Granted, if you're going to print it, publish it, or use it to showcase your skills, that 5% makes a difference. Differences for me? The sparkly water reflection, the extra detail in the really dark trees, and even the size of the sun's orb itself.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome