ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Kauai: Best hikes? Best time? Kalalau in a day?

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
qwimjim
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EugeneK

I have been to Kalalau Beach twice, in 2002 and 2012, and haven't seen anyone checking the permits. BUT, doing that trail in one day is rather pointless; it is not a training run, one should enjoy the unique scenery and experience.
The first leg of that trail, to Hanakapi'ai beach, and then to the waterfall up the valley, makes a nice day outing. Swimming under that waterfall is very memorable.
There is another waterfall in Hanakoa Valley, supposedly good, but, being short on time we couldn't find it.
Yeah, I totally agree here. What's the point of doing a gorgeous trail if your eyes aren't going to absorb any of it? Go do Grouse instead 12 times in a day, or hike some other boring treed trail close to home. No point of wasting precious vacation time if that's what you're after.

And yes, I think one should go to Maui too, sometime. It's totally awesome and there is lots to do and see there. I liked it more than Kauai.
Cool, it seems unanimous, we'll just hike to a waterfall and back and save the full trail for when the kids are old enough and we can camp for a couple of days. What would be the better hike/waterfall, Hanakap'ai Falls or Hanakoa Falls?

Regarding the hikes and the baby back carrier, are any of the hikes I listed suitable? (Nualolo Loop, Pihea, Waimea Canyon Trails, etc..)? Does only going to the falls change anything for Kalalau? We've covered some good ground with the baby, Conrad Kain Hut, Bow Hut, etc.. as long as footing is good we're good. As long as there's no scrambling or downhill slip and slides.

We were originally going to go for 2 weeks and split our time between the Big Island and Kauai but now you've all got me thinking we should add another week for Maui. I'd probably do a couple of days of diving to Molokai, Molokini and Lanai. Though might not do Molokai, the hammerheads seem very hit and miss for $200. For hiking I know of Halemau'u Trail in Halekala NP.. what else should be on our radar?

Thanks!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome