ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Kauai: Best hikes? Best time? Kalalau in a day?

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
qwimjim
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathryne

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by qwimjim

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathryne

Have fun! I'm interested in what you find out about Kauai. I go to the Big Island a couple of times a year to go diving. Have you been on the manta dive yet? What dive company do you use?
Hi we've never been, I just meant we've pretty well figured out what we're going to do on the Big Island. Planning on doing the Manta dive with Jack's Locker or Kona Dive Company. Will do some shore diving at Place of Refuge and Puako. If you have any tips for the Big Island there's a recent thread looking for advice: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=56979
Stick with Jack's, or try Big Island Divers. I've heard Kona Dive isn't great but I don't have any personal experience with them. I use Big Island Divers pretty much exclusively. They have some great long range and three tanks dives and a good fleet of boats. I'm heading out there again in April and plan on putting on my big girl panties and trying the blackwater dive after the manta dive. I've done the manta dive four times now, and several daytime dives with Big Island Divers.

I'm not sure if you have booked accommodation on the Big Island yet, but we found a gem of a condo just south of Kona. Last year I got a 2 bedroom 2000sq ft condo for $110 a night. This year it was $140/night, but we travel with another couple, so it's reasonable. Holua Resort. It's a bit dated inside, but close to Keahou Harbour (walking distance), so if you want to get out to Captain Cook, I think you still need to go out on a boat licensed to go in there, the Fairwinds is a pretty good way to see it and it goes out of Keahou. It's also close to a KTA and several farmer's markets, 25 mins to two-step. KTA carries local produce, meat, fish and eggs. I prefer it to the horrors of Costco, Walmart or Safeway for food. I do hit up Costco for booze and gas.

OK, sorry about the thread drift. Now I'm getting excited about my 10 days in April!
thanks for the info! i looked up holua resort and put a random date in september and the 2000sqft 2 bedroom is $194/night? Maybe it's because we're 4 and not 2? What about this place, is the location good? It seems to be nice and on a beach

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/VacationRe...ii_Hawaii.html

Have you ever thought of doing the Manta dive as a shore dive from the Sheraton or a snorkel? I've read that it's pretty easy to do if the surf isn't too rowdy

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome