ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Cross country skiing and winter camping

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 PM
sgRant
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gdichasaz

Hi - I'm looking for some advice about Nordic skiing.

I enjoy winter camping and want to find a way to get a little further and a little faster. For instance, the elfin trip would be a lot nicer without the long 6 km down from red heather. I don't enjoy down hill skiing so I have no need or desire for speed.

Does anyone else use Nordic skis for winter camping?
Would cross country skiing be an option for me to replace/augment snowshoeing?
Would the skis have enough float with a 30lb pack, and traction to travel up gentle slopes, like those found on the garibaldi Neve (I plan another Neve trip this year and would prefer to ski rather than snowshoe, if possible)
What about side hilling with xcountry skis?
Is there anything I'm missing that could cause problems with this as an option?

Thanks for the time!
If you're talking about xc track skis, then I'd strongly advise against it. It has been done though. Trailbreaking will take far more effort because with a smaller ski base area you'll sink deeper into the snow, especially with a pack. Turning will be almost impossible. Sidehilling on hard snow would be problematic because you wouldn't have metal edges and the boots lack ankle support compared to backcountry ski boots. While the waxless grip pattern on track skis is nice, there are slopes on the Neve steep enough to require a lot of switchbacking if you don't use skins. Not that switchbacking is the end of the world, but you'll be breaking trail because no one uses wax anymore for places like the Neve. So you won't be able to use the broken uphill tracks.

You can get backcountry skis with a waxless grip base. You can also get gear that's a few years old, cheap. There's no need to shell out $2000 for the latest backcountry gear. Being from a trail skiing background you'd probably enjoy the outdated gear more than the latest stuff with skis that resemble waterskis and boots like lower leg casts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome