ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Food, glorious food - Counting calories

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
mad owl woman
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Arguing with the Sun, YT, Canada.
Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking
Posts: 2,905
Default

It's been awhile since I've done a calorie count of my hiking food, but I know it's on the high side. I make most of my own food and sometimes sacrifice flavour a bit in favour of nutrition.

On the instant oatmeal front, I make my own. 100% anti-caking agent free, and I can control the amount of sugar. It works out to about $.75/serving. If I leave out the premium ingredients, about $.45/serving.

The recipe varies but the base is:

3 parts quick (not instant) oats
1 part instant quinoa flakes
1 part ground flax seed
pinch of dulse flakes
whole milk powder or whey powder

Coconut or ground almonds make a good addition, as does freeze-dried fruit.

One of the things I've learned about whey powder is that the protein content varies - standard whey powder is about 14% protein (not sure what the other 86% is). Not a big deal if you're looking for a boost to recipes but if you're counting grams of protein it's something to be aware of.
mad owl woman is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome