ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Winter Hiking for the First Time

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:10 AM
Matt
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

"Expect the best but prepare for the worst" is one of my favourite sayings.

Bring extra clothing obviously. Synthetics and wool are ideal because they retain their insulating ability when they are wet. Cotton absorbs a lot of water, and looses most of its already poor insulating ability once it's wet. Some cotton is okay, but make sure you have wool and synthetics like polyester, polypropylene, acrylic, and fleece. Keep your clothing in a glad garbage bag because most backpacks are not waterproof.

I wouldn't go alone. I do quite a bit of hiking on my own in the summer time, but because of the extra risks of winter hiking I always go with somebody.

Any hike you enjoyed doing in the summer is generally good in the winter as well. It's still fall now, so you have about two months before a you'll need snowshoes or anything like that. Just remember that mountain conditions change quickly, and it can go from somewhat cloudy to 50 foot or less visibility in less than an hour, and dropping a few degress too. It's not that dangerous, but just make sure you're aware that it happens.

So yeah feel free too ask any questions.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome