ClubTread Community - View Single Post - WTB: Canoe spray skirt

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
sgRant
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Monster

9 lbs...! I must have been a very weak paddler when last I used a spray skirt if they are that light

I have two very important uses for my VHF radio, the first and most important use is to check coast guard marine forecasts twice daily. My secondary need is for 2-way marine communications.

Marine flares are an awesome survival tool to have as well, and much like the fire extinguisher in yer kitchen, some tools are must have exceptions to the multi-use rule. Thankfully a couple of marine flares are not as cumbersome as a fire extinguisher or a 10lb canoe skirt.

Of course by keeping water out, the ability to potentially right your canoe after capsizing is the very point of a spray skirt in the first place; which hopefully doesn't betray that my real reason for waffling on getting one for my Mackenzie is cost.

Aerodynamics and even potential transport fuel savings are also very cool points.

Ultimately I question also why I would be in seas big enough that I'd need a spray skirt to paddle in the first place? I think this is what kayaks are for, what they lack in paddling comfort, payload, versatility and weight displacement, they gain in performance against winds, waves and speed. Exactly the conditions that canoes should be on shore in.
We're not competent enough to go out in conditions where we need a spraydeck. It's just to widen our margin of safety should something unexpected happen. I've been very glad to have it, even though we might have capsized just the one time if we didn't have it. Especially since it's only this year that we haven't had a child as a third occupant of the canoe. Like the time you went with us out toward Sail Rock off the Broken Group. That's the sort of place where I like having a spraydeck, even if we weren't shipping water.

I'm not so sure about the fuel savings when transporting the canoe. The air moves up over the car by filling the canoe and then coming down out the back of the canoe. Using a spraydeck would make the canoe one big lump and would block the air. This would also create strong lifting forces under the front of the canoe. We notice mileage increases when carrying an open canoe on suv's, but a mileage penalty when carrying it on a car.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome