ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Lost Cypress snowboarder found alive

View Single Post
post #105 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
KARVITK
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by splitboarder

I'm looking forward to some "out-of-bounding" tomorrow. But i'm armed with knowledge of the area and terrain, a map and ability to use it, good sense with lots of alternate plans available, conservative avy decisioning, avalanche training and practice, competent partners, leaving my plan with someone i can trust, 10 essentials, the proper equipment (avy gear, splitboard, with skins and poles, extra layers, first aid kits), etc. etc. etc.

And guess what I do this kind of thing often (gasp!) and so do many I know, and I can honestly say none of us have ever required SAR's services or been in any truly bad situations. We know the risks, keep it conservative and have so far managed a perfect safety record with 100's of incredible days of backcountry sliding enjoyment in the mountains of BC and abroad.

Though I do agree that many "out-of-bounders" are woefully ill-prepared with little knowledge of what they're getting into and certainly no idea what they don't know, making bold and poor decisions. It is a problem, education is key, but let's not paint such broad strokes of all "out-of-bound" skiers and boarders in our mountains.
Yes, Good well informed, educated, and aware of the risks. . So what do they consider "out of bounders", going past a certain boundary or line ? So if someone makes mistakes going out of bounds, aware of the risk, .. hope that person is truly well prepared for anything; ?self-help? reprimand by SAR if that person really gets into trouble.

So education "awareness" really might be a good best idea for those people who just don't have the knowledge to really get themselves out of trouble.

K

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome