ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Burn wood, charge your phone

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
camshaft
High on the Mountain Top

A number of people have written reviews for this item.
From real world reviews it takes a great deal of time to charge devices. For paddling I think it would be handy as you have the extra space weight for such a item.

Personally myself I have a external battery pack that is minimal in size weight. And it can charge my iphone 4 from 5-10% to 75%. But realistically I don't like taking my iphone 4 because the thing is so freaking heavy.

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/comm...olite&start=25

It was really made to be used in third world countries and works very well for that purpose.
For camping, backpacking it is heavy and to charge items its a long process.
From what people say its annoying to feed the thing small wood for ?1-2-3 hours to charge your phone or device.
And one of the HUGE things to look at is the power output.....
As biolite has 2W max then peak 4W ? So what conditions are these ?

Quote:
quote:BioLite lists the USB power output as “Max continuous: 2W @5V, Peak: 4W @5V.” Here's what that meant during my tests: While boiling a pot of water and keeping the fire hot enough to power both the fan and the USB port (when the fire is low, the USB charger shuts off), my iPhone gained a percentage point of charging every couple minutes. So depending on how long you're willing to keep a fire going, you can reasonably charge your stuff.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by runningclouds

There's something intriguing about being able to charge an iPhone by using a wood fire. At a unique intersection of caveman and cybergeek, BioLite's CampStove promises to cook your food and charge your electronics — by burning stuff you find on the ground. It has been very much the, erm, hottest stove this year…but does it work?

http://www.adventure-journal.com/201...ite-campstove/
Quote:
quote:BioLite lists the USB power output as “Max continuous: 2W @5V, Peak: 4W @5V.” Here's what that meant during my tests: While boiling a pot of water and keeping the fire hot enough to power both the fan and the USB port (when the fire is low, the USB charger shuts off), my iPhone gained a percentage point of charging every couple minutes. So depending on how long you're willing to keep a fire going, you can reasonably charge your stuff.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome