Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

Alpine Climbing: Techniques to Take You Higher
Climbing Self Rescue
Glacier Travel and Crevasse Rescue
Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills
Rock Climbing: A Comprehensive Guide

All available from The Mountaineers :http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/
I have several of the books that you listed as well as Freedom. While the five you give are all good books, they can all be replaced by Freedom of the Hills which is a much more exhaustive and encompassing reference book. Each of those Mountaineers books are essentially chapters in Freedom. Why buy half a dozen books when one will do? This guy appears to be on a budget too so why multiply 20 or 30 bucks by 5 when Freedom is like $35? And those books all list Freedom in their bibliographies...

As for the rope: A half rope (8mm or so) is usually a sensible choice for glacier stuff as it is lighter weight, a plus when you are weighted down with all the other cold weather gear you will probably need on your trips. However I wouldn't recommend a half for you starting out since they are too limiting. All you can do with a half is touring or other glacier travel unless you pair them up for more vertical pursuits, but then you are doubling your cost. If you are anything like me (or most of the rest of the climbing community) you might branch out into some rock and then would need a thicker rope. A friend has this rope and I have heard good things http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbi...m-dry-rope.jsp. It is dry-treated and a 60m length is just under $200, which is what you will probably spend on a rope. Nothing but good reviews and it's a 9.9mm. There is also a 10.2mm version which might be a better choice. Whichever rope you pick, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the weight of the rope, rather its suitability. I know plenty of people who obsess over ounces of gear but then overpack on clothes and food or insist on carrying a couple litres of water when one or less will suffice.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome