ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Wilderness First-Aid/Survival Course

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
prother
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I'll second Kid C to recommend Slipstream. Their instructors are fantastic. Of the three wilderness first aid courses that I have taken through them, all were top notch.

They will tailor a course to your groups needs. For example, my local Section of the ACC had a custom course that allowed us to do two, three day weekends, rather than a one week long course, which meant I didn't have to take a whole week off work. As well, Slipstream gave us a group discount and our Section paid half of every club participant's course fee, so there are ways to cut costs through group efforts. My last course cost me $200 after our group rate and ACC rebate.

If you are lucky enough to get an instructor, or can request her services, I would especially recommend a Japanese woman named Yukie Hayashi. She took our group of twenty and asked each persons name and then repeated them back, without fault and remembered each name for the rest of the course. She kept our group excited and working at our max the whole time.

Peter

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome