ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Whistler Olympic Park overcharging for bc access?

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Black Adder
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:I can tell you haven't been in the area since this all came about. The snowmobilers are going up Rainbow, tracking out the entire area and playing on Rainbow Lake all the time. They regard boundaries as things to violate since they're sore about being extirpated from Callaghan.
I haven't been in the area because the sledders were "going up Rainbow, tracking out the entire area and playing on Rainbow Lake all the time". So nothing has changed.

Just goes to show the disconnect between politicians, along with those that attempt to plan our society, and reality. They can draw lines all over the map and post signs ordering people to 'stay out', but if there is no structure in place to enforce the lines, it's all nonsense.

The lines around Manning Park mean nothing. Snowmobilers regularly enter from the north and play around in the Heather Trail area.

Likewise, the lines around the Callaghan Conservancy, Callaghan Lake Park and the Rainbow Lake non-motorized zone/Whistler watershed mean nothing.

This is not the fault of any one political party. Both the Liberals and the NDP are guilty of making grand announcements regarding parks, only to fail to provide adequate support to ensure protection for area. All manner of abuse is taking place throughout the Parks system.

If the political will exists, there is a simple way to turn this around. Make the fines for breaking Parks rules appropriate for what it costs to catch law breakers. Also, make the fines payable to Parks. In fact, I would say make it profitable for Parks, or other authorities, to go after these guys.

Right now, chasing snowmobilers or quad types is just a money drain.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome