ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Butane Cannister Shortcomings

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 PM
swebster
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by aklinz

SCOTTN: Hello. Thanks for the REASONED reply. Yes, we have checked the various vapour pressures pressures of gasses, and allowable pressures. If one checks the literature of the lindal valves used in these cannisters, one sees that they begin to fail when pressures reach around 250 psi. Have never tried to make one fail intentionally, but have viewed videos of valve failures. Gas simply begins venting, and when this happens, the valve is basically shot and no longer usable.
Right, but it isn't just the valve you need to be worried about. I would be more worried about the canister itself blowing up. I'm not saying it will blow up, but the safety factor will be reduced, whether or not you are comfortable with that is likely a personal decision.

Quote:
quote:
Also there are interesting threads out there about the so-called "mixed gas blends" sold by various brands. Butane and Propane DO NOT MIX. Period. So a so-called 80/20 Butane/Propane mix is simply 20% Propane on top, with the remaining Butane on the bottom. So running one of these cans on a LPG stove results in the stove first burning pure
Well, I agree with you that the fuels don't burn uniformly, but I think the ratio of fuel burned likely depends on the ratio of their vapour pressures, so this is going to change with temperature. At very low temperatures I think you'd be right that the propane burns off first (so your canister stove with a mixed fuel will probably work ok at the beginning and then start being terrible when the propane is gone) but at higher temperatures it probably burns more evenly.

Quote:
quote:
propane. Where are the howls of protest ? Where are the so-called "bombs" ? These stoves CAN burn Propane quite readily, actually.
I don't think anyone ever claimed that the stoves couldn't burn propane. The possible problem lies with whether the canisters which are designed for a isobutane/butane/propane mix (ratios vary) can handle pure propane. The canisters vary by brand too. The snowpeak canisters weigh more since they have a larger propane content and therefore require thicker walls for instance.

Quote:
quote:
Heating the fuel cannister ? No thanks ! Never liked that idea. The MSR Reactor running pure propane burns extremely well at -37C and also at altitudes up to 8000 ft msl. We have been using these for about two years now. And yes, we do take the usual precautions when storing and handling these cans, such as NEVER leaving them inside a vehicle in the summer, etc.
Regards, Andrew Klinzmann
Heating the canister is similar in effect to what you are doing though, it may put the situation "out of design parameters." Again, whether or not you feel that is safe likely depends on exactly what you are doing, and your personal risk tolerance.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome