2Likes
  • 1 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By Beorning1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Mountain Biking, Reading
Default New to BC, Former Hiker returning

Hello all! My name is Grant and I have recently moved to BC from the UK. Now I have moved to this beautiful area I have decided I would kind of like to be reunited with my former love of hiking. I have many hiking days under my belt, but haven't been actively hiking in a few years. What better place is there to start again?
Pretty much all of my hiking experience is UK based, but I am now looking for pointers and advice on hiking in BC, as well as getting to know like minded people. The main differences I am concerned about is obviously wildlife. We don't have too many animals in the UK that you could have a potentially dangerous encounter with, apart from the occasional cow trampling, but I know how to negotiate cows. Reading another introductory thread I have seen that there are free courses on bears offered by MEC and I intend to take one as soon as I can.
This looks like a great community here, I hope I can be a useful contributor!

My rucksack has oft been me pillow, The heather has oft been me bed, And sooner than part from the mountains, I think I would rather be dead - Ewan MacColl, The Manchester Rambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi Grant, you should check out fraser valley outdoor club, I am sure they will be happy to help. Don't worry to much about the wildlife however some bear spray and the knowledge to use it is useful, lots of great resources here and elsewhere on the internet. Coming from the uk myself get used to bushwhacking and climbing other than that it is a paradise.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Grant

There is a wide variety of trails, you can do in 1 hour return, a long day trip up to 12 km return....... Some trails are well used and good; others seldom used a little overgrown and like game trails.

Golden Ears Park, Lindemann Lake by Chilliwack lake are good short hikes and you can camp as well.

In both areas and others you have trails which could take a short (3 hour) day.... or long ..day.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Welcome Grant Tell us do you come with the good British humour? Can you quote at least some Monty Phyton? If so, you are welcome on any of my trips.

The wildlife is pretty harmless unless you sleep with tuna sandwiches tucked under your pillow or like to hug cuddly small baby black bears. Most bear encounters are harmless. They look at you, you look at them and each saunters away slowly.

Great places for community are here, BCMC, and the ACC

Let us know what kind of hiking you enjoy and we can make more recommendations.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masiar View Post
Welcome Grant Tell us do you come with the good British humour? Can you quote at least some Monty Phyton? If so, you are welcome on any of my trips.
Grant, what we really want to know is did you bring over a big stash of british chocolate to share with your new hiking buddies? Cadbury Flake is favourite

Not to worry about bears, you're more likely to meet your end trying to keep up with Masiar!! LOL
Masiar likes this.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Mountain Biking, Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Grant, what we really want to know is did you bring over a big stash of british chocolate to share with your new hiking buddies?
I'm afraid not, but I do get sent regular "care" packages from home, so maybe I could get a multi-pack of flakes put in. Mostly when people find out I'm from Maldon they ask me for sea salt.

Thanks to everybody for the advice, I will be checking out more of the groups suggested.

Right now I am looking for easy-ish day hikes, maybe 4 to 5 hours, as my girlfriend has never slept in a tent in her life and just getting her outside is an achievement.
I don't like my trails to be too sterile, a little bit of mud on my boots at the end of the day is preferable to gravel dust.
xj6response likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

Welcome from a fellow ex-pat! I'm going back for a family visit this summer, and yes I'll be picking up some salt ;-)

As someone who went through the same "OMG bears everywhere!" thought process, I can reassure that you'll probably see way more bears from the car than on the trail. Having said that, it is a good idea to learn about bear interactions and the principles of leave no trace.

One thing I've learned since my move to BC is to realize that the snow hangs around well into hiking season, sometimes until July or August. We had an especially cool spring this year so the snow is lingering. Trails that are safe in the summer can be lethal in winter/spring conditions (the terrain is often very steep here), and that's not always obvious when you start out. Buy some microspikes - you'll be glad you did!

You won't find OS-quality maps here as a rule, but a few private companies have stepped up and produced excellent trail maps. Check out the maps by Trail Ventures BC for the Chilliwack area as a start. A good mapping app for your phone will also come in handy - Gaia is a popular one. Google Earth and caltopo.com are also invaluable.

But quite frankly, the hiking here is superb with a vast range of options. You'll definitely have plenty of opportunites for getting mud on your boots! :-)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page