Hello from Kentucky - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hello from Kentucky

I just stumbled on this forum after looking for Canadian Rockies trip reports. The photos make me very excited to return to the area again. My wife has a conference in Banff in the middle of June and we are going to do a little dayhiking before the conference and then I am going backpacking for 3 nights while she "works". I live in Lexington KY and do the majority of my backpacking in KY, TN and NC. One of these days I'm going to make it out west to enjoy all of the views. The last year or so, I have been posting my trip pics on a blog since I found that I would take pictures and then never really look at them after a trip. You can check it out if you would like. I also homebrew, hence the blog name backpackandbeer.blogspot.com scott

My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Welcome! Sounds like my story. I have an annual conference in Banff in early/mid June which also brought me here for advice. Just curious -- where are you thinking of backpacking in the area?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

Welcome to ClubTread

I know what you mean about those photos never being looked at again! I do the same thing.. and I have a knack of corrupting everything I hold them on so I lose a good chunk of them too. Maybe hosting them online would be a better idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I was hoping to hike in to Mt. Assiniboine from Sunshine, but it looks like the snow might make that impossible. I was also thinking about the Iceline Trail in Yoho, but not sure about snow there. At this point, I am uncertain of where I am going. I need to do some more online scouting.

I'll have a couple days to scout and maybe talk to someone at the Banff visitor center. Hopefully, it is early enough in the season that site reservations won't be an issue in Banff or Yoho.

I have found keeping a blog to be a bit of a pain, but I like being able to look back at previous trips. I also like it because I have my trip reports all in one place. I can post photos to online forums and then a link to the blog with more photos and details.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Starting from Banff in mid-June, we've done three trips. Lake Minnewanka which is really easy and snow free.

Then we did Glacier Lake which is farther up north and a little more rugged/wild. I'm told Glacier Lake is situated such that it's one of the first backcountry hikes in the area to become snow free.

And then last year, we drove from Banff to Glacier NP in BC and went up to the Asulkan Hut. Just epic!

Last edited by renebrar; 04-23-2017 at 01:26 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsp_scott View Post
I also homebrew, hence the blog name backpackandbeer.blogspot.com scott
Just home brewed beer? You sure about that? I thought you guys all brewed moonshine out there. If so, I could use some...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyTuna View Post
Just home brewed beer? You sure about that? I thought you guys all brewed moonshine out there. If so, I could use some...
I've thought about trying to make whiskey, but it is illegal. More important, it is a lot cheaper to just buy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by renebrar View Post
Starting from Banff in mid-June, we've done three trips. Lake Minnewanka which is really easy and snow free.

Then we did Glacier Lake which is farther up north and a little more rugged/wild. I'm told Glacier Lake is situated such that it's one of the first backcountry hikes in the area to become snow free.

And then last year, we drove from Banff to Glacier NP in BC and went up to the Asulkan Hut. Just epic!
Thanks for those suggestions, I appreciate it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page