Ruth Mountain Jul.16/16 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default Ruth Mountain Jul.16/16

My second visit to this mountain, took this trip to share the delightful Hannegan Valley trail and the climb up the slopes, and snows of Mount Ruth.

I had set a flexible date; Saturday or Sunday, depending on weather. Back and forth it swung... finally called for Saturday (July 16) to do this trip. A few other people could do only Sunday, so unfortunately they could not make Saturday.

Three of us: Paul, Eugene, and I met at Bromley's south of the border near 6:30 am...to car pool and head out.

On our drive up on Mt. Baker the last 15 minutes to the trailhead, it rained a bit of a deluge. Schee,,,, raingear time... let alone dry and sun ??

Rain stopped as soon as we parked; and hence did not suffer the rain on the trail. Cloudy and a little mist fall.. Enjoyed the great walk up the fine "cleared" trail all the way to the Hannegan Pass; from there was that 150 meters elevation gain in a trail that resembled a deep ditch going up the north side of that ridge extending northward from Mt. Ruth.

Snow started at top of this trail; and crampons went on for 5 minutes; then off for a stretch, before putting them back on for the final 450 meters of elevation up Ruth Summit. Cloudy all the time, and zilch on the views... maybe a 100 meters of visibility. Ran a little low of energy approaching the summit; stopped as my face felt very hot even with the cloud. Put on sunscreen as I could feel my face start to burn...........

At the summit there were a few partial breaks in the cloud, sun attempted to come out. Stayed on 1/2 hour to have a partial lunch, then back down. ... The clay soil in that trail ditch makes for very greasy boot sliding in spots.

A good walk back on the enjoyable pass to valley trail on our return. Lots of flowers; especially Indian Paintbrush and a purple flower I am not able to identify .

Made the trip a lot quicker than last time; less snow travel; less photo-taking, and not having to deal with obstacles such as fallen rocks, dirt piles, and fallen trees.... trail maintenance since last visit, 10 weeks earlier, has been awesome. 8:30 - 6:30 pm car to car including lunch, and various tops. 1400 meters net elevation gain/ 22 km return (gps).

Here are the photos; I think they give a good indication of the way:

Starting up the valley:
Compared to 10 weeks earlier, the snow fans have almost melted away.

Two climbers were practicing with their rope, going down the steep slope.

Three of us @ the summit:

A very rare flower on the summit, no other of its kind there..

Descending, ridge below... best view of the day, there are people down there.

A pretty, but very common purple flower lining the trail a good part of the way..

Enjoying the green valley, almost back to trailhead. A lot more pleasant than being in open on a hot summer day..

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09833 (1).JPG
Views:	1062
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	150586  

Name:	DSC09835.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	150594  

Name:	DSC09837.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	150602  

Name:	DSC09838.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	150610  

Name:	DSC09841 (1).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	993.0 KB
ID:	150618  

Name:	DSC09843.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	647.8 KB
ID:	150626  

Name:	DSC09844.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	150634  

Name:	DSC09847.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	150642  

Name:	DSC09849.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	832.0 KB
ID:	150650  

Name:	DSC09852.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	150658  

Name:	DSC09855.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	150666  

Name:	DSC09857.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	150674  

Name:	DSC09858.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	150682  

Name:	DSC09859.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	150690  

Name:	DSC09861.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	150698  

Name:	DSC09863.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	896.4 KB
ID:	150706  

Name:	DSC09864.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	150714  

Name:	DSC09866.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	150722  

Name:	DSC09869.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	150730  

Name:	DSC09871.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	150738  

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Last edited by KARVITK; 07-19-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Hey Karl,

Got a pic of that very flower taken at Helm Ridge just before summiting. Have no idea what it's called though. You can see it on the meetup site for comparison. Always impressed at how these plants can survive these extreme conditions.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Banner Photographer

Interest: hikingmountain bikingphotographyanything outdoors

Looks like a great trip even with the lack of views. How firm was the snow? Was it microspikes or full crampons you used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Hi Andrew..

That is a rather unique flower, think I recall seeing one or two plants on the summit of MacFarlane years ago. amazing it is doing well there at that elevation.

Shawn..
The snow consisted of a soft sloppy surface layer of 3 cm to 15 cm... For gentle grades boot walking without spikes or crampons worked, but on really steeper slopes with long runouts to steeper slopes or cliffs, crampons are an assured way to prevent an unhappy quick slide down to hazard territory. .. basically had them on for 5 minutes at the northern end of the north ridge extension. Took em off; then put on for better traction and safety up the summit block proper.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Karl, that looks like a really beautiful area! What's the road access like? Does it need 4x4/high-clearance, or is is accessible in a normal 2WD car?

Thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by siral View Post
Karl, that looks like a really beautiful area! What's the road access like? Does it need 4x4/high-clearance, or is is accessible in a normal 2WD car?

Thanks!
The road has large potholes, so it is a matter of navigating around or along the edges of these. I could take my 2wd medium clearance car, but it would be a slow go.

K

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Good for you for getting out. I wish I'd seen your post rescheduling this trip in time, I would've tagged along since I'd cancelled my Friday plans due to forecasts of thunderstorms up the sea-to-sky.

Made a last minute decision to cross the border & head for Goat Mountain - had even less views than you but it was still good for cardio and wildflower viewing.

Semper fudge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

The flower is called Silky Phacelia, also known as Sky Pilot :-)

I've just looked up Ruth Mtn on the map and wow, is it ever a shame it was cloudy! Maybe third time lucky...?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Another Jeff. good choice to check out the flowers.... it was a good trip to Ruth; Goat is a great one too. Try for its summit next time you are that way.

Aspersa ... it was a good hike, wish we had more visibility for my buddies. first time I was privileged with the views.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page