Chilliwack River Trail - North Cascades - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Chilliwack River Trail - North Cascades

I went into North Cascades Park from Chilliwack Lake last weekend. The trail through the ecological reserve on the Canadian side is still in good shape to the border. Once you cross into US territory, the trail varies from a little bushy to very sad shape. The river has changed course after some severe winter storms, which has in turn altered some of the formidable sloughs which the trail traverses. Parts of the trail have been washed out. Someone has tagged the new, altered route which is passable enough. Just before what was once Little Chilliwack camp, the river has gouged a wide new channel, which is littered with huge logs. The next 500 metres of trail, along with the campsite itself, no longer exist. You have a choice of either bushwacking next to the river until you pick up the old trail, or else picking your way through the log jam which covers the new river channel. Although I did not walk all the way to Bear Creek, I ran into a pair of American climbers who said that the trail was still in good shape for most of the way. If that is true, the worst section is between the border and about 500 metres upstream from Little Chilliwack.

Also, there is currently an impressive run of spawning sockeye, noticeable all along the river.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 01:58 AM

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: climb

A friend and I flagged the trail south of the border thru the washed away parts this spring on our way to climb Bear mt.the trail is in excellent shape just past little chwk camp all the way past bear ck and beyond.some of the coolest stand of old growth forest anywhere along this section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Summit Master

it's a beautiful trail - I had the privilege of hiking it many years ago. sorry to hear that parts of the trail were washed out.

cheers - C Wall

----------------------------------------
The trouble with the global village is all those global village idiots

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page