Lake Ann July 31 - August 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Lake Ann July 31 - August 2

Sometime last week, Shadee invited me to a hike to Lake Ann.

I've been wanting to visit that lake for some years now – ever since my hiking friend Paul and I snowshoed to Artist Point two or three years ago, and he pointed to a ridge in the distance and declared ‘Lake Ann is over there, and it's one of the most beautiful hikes in the area'

Last week, Shadee, Terra and I exchanged nearly 100 emails while planning our trip to Lake Ann. How much food to bring, what gear each would bring… the planning is part of the adventure.

I was looking forward to a weekend of pure relaxation – just nice views, clean air and great people. On Friday night, I went through my gear list one last time, and drew up a list of foods we would pick up South of the border.

Saturday Shadee picked me up at my home, and a few hours later we were in Abbotsford, picking up Terra. The drive across the border was uneventful, followed by a stop at the general store in Sumas.

Refreshed, and with packs brimming with food and gear, we were at the trailhead by 4pm. The day's heat was waning, and we diligently began our descent into the headwaters of Swift Creek. It's a beautiful trail – brimming with forest, lush meadows, even a marmot or two sunning themselves on the big rocks below.

look at the haze from the nearby fires...

We were ooh'ing and aaah'ing at the views around us. Many pictures were taken. Before we knew it, we had reached the lowest point of the hike (3,900 ft) and then began the slow ascent to the saddle behind which we would find Lake Ann.

Happy hikers!

Looking back at where we've been...

The ascent was equally delightful – meadows, creeks, small ferns gracing the talus slopes of our ascent. The trail is ridiculously well-maintained – landscaped even. With each turn on the trail, more mountains revealed themselves. Over here, Mt Baker. Over there, Table mountain. Way over there – Glacier? Look at the beautiful surroundings

A good attitude is important, no matter the ambient heat and sun

look at that clear water...

mr. marmot stands guard

And soon we reached the saddle and, half a mile below us, lay our destination.

a first view of the lake, WOW !

To the left the Curtis Glacier, with its calving seracs. And half a dozen swift waterfalls gracing the rocky slopes of Shuksan.

What a weekend. While the campsite, on Saturday night, was semi-full, there was hardly any sound that could be heard above the rushing waters from the waterfalls, or the cracking of the seracs. Sitting on a rock high above the lake, we shared a fabulous dinner of parmesan side kicks with fresh American lox. Mmmmm !

We retired to our tents – Shadee to her Akto, Terra to her new Tyvek tent (Terra – your tent needs a trail name!) and me to a Marmot tent generously lent to me by Shadee (thank you!!!) The full moon rose behind Shuksan, and illuminated our campground. We took many pictures…

here are our tents: Shadee's Akto and Marmot

and Terra's Terrific Tyvek Tent

what a skookum place to stay - we were tenting on that big rock jutting out into the lake

On Sunday morning, the campers cleared out. Perhaps none of them had a long weekend. Pity. I stayed by the lake and took many more pictures, whereas Terra and Shadee decided to explore, each on her own ridge-walk adventure.

The haze from the fire near Swift Creek came and went. During the weekend, we either had perfectly clear views or, when the wind turned, we would find speckles of ash on our tents or gear.

Later on Sunday, we had a surprise visitor: Hiker Boy dropped by for a short stay. We shared some beer, a wonderful dinner together, and each returned to their tent for a pleasant and restful sleep.

And on Monday morning, it was time to go.

Whereas Hiker Boy left camp at 9am at a fast clip, the rest of us lingered and slowly got ready to leave this little corner of paradise. We broke camp at 10am, and slowly retraced our steps, taking more pictures along the way.

Yet, the return felt much faster than the hike in – and no, it was not the few pounds lighter packs. I was sad to leave – all the lushness and beauty of the Baker area was tugging at my heartstrings.

And, in no time we reached the parking lot – and were surprised and delighted to see Hiker Boy waiting for us… with COLD BEER !!!!

Hiker Boy is a prince of a man !!

We hung out at the parking lot, had beer, and Terra and I crossed the highway to scout out future hiking destinations. We then drove up to Artist Point, to see our trail from a bird's eye view.

Here's a simple diagram of our route:

a trunk full of adventure gear!

What beautiful country! And what great company!

I had the most relaxing weekend, and would not hesitate to hike with Shadee, Terra and Hiker Boy again. Thank you guys for a wonderful, wonderful weekend.

Cheers – C Wall

----------------------------------------
Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Nice TR,SeawallHappy to read your trail tales again.Looks like a bad picture will never be taken up there,it's a beautiful place.Good on Hiker Boy,he sure understands the power of cold beer.Another destination to add to that to-do list,I think.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 11:52 PM

Very nice TR CWall! Your pics are great as I knew they would be.

This weekend was phenomenal!!! The weekend was filled with fabulous company, exquisite food, perfect weather and astonishing views.

My favourite part of this trail was the meadow. The meadow with its long, warm, sweet smelling grass was sprinkled with a variety flowers and was absolutely enchanting. Lazy, crystal clear creeks meandered down through the valley. The hillsides reminded me of a gallery as we passed through the meadow viewing the different art on display. An array of colors and terrain left me in awe of this magnificent scenic gallery. I was truly sold!

Some time later we found ourselves in another small meadow marking the beginning of our ascent. Never before have I enjoyed a climb as much as I did on this trail. Yes, the views of Baker and the other mountain tops were wonderful but nothing compared to the natural rock garden we had the pleasure of weaving our way through. The small, bright green ferns seemed strategically placed throughout the area. Heather also graced us with her presence leaving splashes of purple everywhere amongst the light grey rocks. Dark green moss grew near the streams & trickling falls added to the pallet of colour and my pleasure of being on this trail.

When we reached the crest of the mountain slope, leading up to the lake, I was in awe!! Talk about an awesome reward at the end of an already exhilarating trail!

Sunday was incredibly relaxing with no scheduled plans. Just a day of soaking up the views and enjoying each others company…ahhh. After going for a swim with Vida I felt the ridge above the lake calling me. One must climb the mountain to see what is on the other side!
Vida realizing she didn't want to swim with her sunglasses on...

The view of Mt. Baker from atop the ridge...

A small lake I found further along the ridge...

Part of Shuksan glacier and Lk Ann below...

Part way through the day Hiker Boy graced us with his presence and added to the already great companionship. Here are our two chefs for the last night at the lake...

Monday was a sad day having to leave such a stunning area. This is an area I would gladly hike again and again!!!

As a little side note, I just had to share these two pics with everyone. Obviously there is something wrong with the first picture...

You should've seen the view from the one at the lake!! To tell you the truth, that is the way they should all be. There is no stinky smell, which is most peoples least favourite thing about these. Wouldn't be so fun in the rain, though.

Anyhow, I need to thank Shadee and Vida for inviting me and their fantastic organization skills. Thank you both!
And last, but definitely not least, I need to thank Hiker Boy for his incredible surprise at the end of our journey. NOTHING better than a friendly face waiting at the trailhead with cold beer for all of us! That was awesome HB; thank you for the perfect ending to a perfect trip!![^][^][^]

If anyone is looking for a gorgeous trail and destination this is it! You will not be disappointed!!!!

A sensitive plant in a garden grew, And the young winds fed it with silver dew,
And it opened its fan-like leaves to the light, And closed them beneath the kisses of night.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 06:20 AM
Summit Master

Great reports and photos, you guys. And way to go HB for coming to the "cold beer rescue".

C-Wall, I especially like your photo - the B+W taken at night sillouhetting the trees. Nice one.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Looks like a lovely hiking destination! Glad to see you all had a blast

Giddy up!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

beautiful pictures Terra !!!

I love your descriptions of the sights and smells that we encountered during our trek. Just as the scenery changed with every turn on the trail, different plant scents would emanate with each twist in a switchback. I loved the tall tall grass with its musty green aroma.

Whereas Shadee charged ahead towards the lake, or back towards the car, Terra and I would just walk at a moderate pace and comment on the colours, the peaks and lushness around us.

The water in lake Ann was *cold*! Terra, however, jumped right in!

According to HB, toilets in US National Parks are all 'roofless'. The one near the lake was rather vertiginous, you had to climb up a ridge then descend a steep trail down before reaching the small bench tucked in between the trees. A challenge for acrophobes but oh the views of Shuksan!

Thank you Blackfly for your compliment on my night picture. I took several shots of the full moon rising near Shuksan - but only when I was back home could I see what I got!

cheers !! C Wall

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 AM

WOW!! great pictures and trip report everybody. Looks like this hike had a little of everything in it. Nice trunk full of adventure gear Hikerboy.

The first revolution is when you change your mind, about how you look at things, and see that there might be another way to look at it that you have not been shown.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Summit Master

Hey, that shot from Artist Point showing our whole route was a great idea!

Lake Ann was and is a favorite hike for me...a little effort for such a big payoff. It's a pleasure to watch other's discover and enjoy this area for their first time. I must tell you that the loads these ladies were carrying were very intimidating to me. They are tough! How C-wall could pack so much into her small pack shall probably remain as one of life's unsolved mysteries!

I really enjoyed waiting at the top for the girls to arrive back. It gave me a chance to get cleaned up, have some refreshments, and relax in the shade. I had some great conversations with some tourists and forest rangers while waiting. I also had a good laugh because I had one person mistake me for his church minister and another older American lady suggest marriage with me as a way to become a Canadian. LOL! Now you know with me that the beverage just had to be Alaskan Amber however I did have some cold Pepsi in there as well.

I was flattered to be included in the great company of these ladies. I look forward to opportunities of joining them on other adventures...Yellow Aster Butte in September?

"Function is beauty"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

I was flattered to be included in the great company of these ladies. I look forward to opportunities of joining them on other adventures...Yellow Aster Butte in September?
What a nice thing to say to HB. I'd gladly hike with you 3 any day. I'm absolutely in love with that area now. Just name the time and place and I'll be there!!

C-Wall: I'm very pleased you enjoyed my addition to the report. I'm looking forward to Shadee's contribution, as well.

And it opened its fan-like leaves to the light, And closed them beneath the kisses of night.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley~
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Summit Master

Interest: fiddling, hiking, climbing, dancing, photography, Tai Chi, running

Yay, more Lake Ann converts Here's a link to my trip report from last year and the pics we took. I'd go back there any time. Great reports too. I love your meadows shots. Good to see you back posting TRs, C Wall. I missed them.

http://www.richsobel.com/LakeAnn.html

Good on ya HB for the beer "rescue". We packed in a bottle of wine and had a glorious time with a perfect sunset and starlight nightcap

HikeOn,

Rich

post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fullofadventure

WOW!! Nice trunk full of adventure gear Hikerboy.

The first revolution is when you change your mind, about how you look at things, and see that there might be another way to look at it that you have not been shown.
pppssstttt... that was my trunk full of our ladies gear, after all, we had to haul in our makeup, we needed to look good

my contribution coming soon Terra, hang in there
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for a great trip report, and great pics as usual. I have been looking to find a great hike near Baker, but one that is not too overly strenuous. It looks like I have found it. It looks like a beautiful area. Does the trail have lots of roots and rocks to climb over, or is it fairly well groomed all the way along?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trailrider

Thanks for a great trip report, and great pics as usual. I have been looking to find a great hike near Baker, but one that is not too overly strenuous. It looks like I have found it. It looks like a beautiful area. Does the trail have lots of roots and rocks to climb over, or is it fairly well groomed all the way along?
It is a perfectly manicured trail. I've never experienced anything like it. You will absolutely loooove it!! The rangers down there are awesome and we let them know it.

~Percy Bysshe Shelley~
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

alright here goes... my contribution to the wonderful comments already made!
Let me first say this was a fantastic trip, with most wonderful company. Im so glad Hiker Boy made it out to join us, and the smile on his face when we arrived back at the parking lot was a welcome site!!! I also knew we had cold beer waiting for us - thankyou!!

I spent over a week sending teezer pics to Cwall, with replies of "YYEESSS", and the last week I enjoyed the bouts of laughter and trip planning over email, between the three of us. Indeed, as Cwall said, part of the fun and adventure.
Meals were planned over a delightful dinner at Vidas place, Shannon couldnt join us but trusted that we would come up with some tasty concoctions
Finally, the day came. I awoke with a big grin on my face, I was so happy to be heading back to this area, of which I have enjoyed both in summer and winter conditions.
I wont repeat what Vida has already written, I will let my photos speak for me here, with the odd comment of things from my perspective..

a lady who was waiting for bcaa to come rescue her keys from her car kindly took our group photo

our destination and lotsa flowers to see!

hey I waited up for you folks... and enjoyed the flowers in the meantime

Vida had to hold the plant while I took the photo, it was a little windy

my idea for a photo with this beautiful display of purple flowers, Vida made me do this.... d'oh!

our view in sight.... but wait am I missing something?

are we there yet? these rocks are hot!!
for me this was the toughest part of the trail, my back was starting to ache from the weight of my pack, and the heat, with having to watch my feet on the rocks.. well I was ready to get there anytime soon!

a delightful surprise of a happy couple

and here we are!! oohh oohh ooohh!

my night shots. the moon was so bright!

I was sorely tempted to take the route up to the glacier next day, but with suasion from Vida I opted for the ridge, radio in hand...I could see someone travelling up the trail from here, was it HB?

I lollylagged on the ridge, and waved at Vida, she could see me waving my pole at her.

views of the other side of the ridge

Im still up here, but I I heard a familiar voice over the radio "Tundra says Hi"

HikerBoy had arrived...that was him I had seen

ooh I need a zipline to go across there!

view from far end of the lake
and time to head down and say Hi to our new arrival, by now the sun had taken its toll on my shoulders, despite sunscreen... ouch
ok put the camera away already chris

so peaceful... HikerBoy and Terra soaking up the atmosphere

our second day draws to a close, this would not be an easy place to leave

and monday morning arrives, with the moon still in view

looking back. Hey thats the ridge I was on!!

Vida signs out

and as mentioned earlier, there was one more surprise to come, we all enjoyed a beer and some discussion on where to head to next
I truly enjoyed this trip, and can hardly wait for the next adventure

HikerBoy, Cwall, Terra, it was a pleasure enjoying this trip with you
Name the date. Lets go!!!

BTW... thankyou Terra and Cwall for putting up with my cooking. I wasnt sure it would go. Im usually a boil water and add to the packet kinda gal

one last pic, this was a pano I took while up on the ridge. Ive never felt inspired to try out a pano before, but these are views so hard to capture the true essence on camera

oh, one last note
kudos to the rangers, we ran into a couple of girls hauling a big saw, they werent big women with huge muscles, but whoa, strong lol... heading down to cut a tree that had fallen across the trail, they had big friendly smiles on their faces. This area is so well maintained
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Ah, the joys of hiking with CT !!!

Week before: intense preparations
Weekend: actual hike
Week after: relive the hike through photos and trip reports

and many, many smiles.

Newsbreak! C Wall is only 3 feet tall !

I love this picture:

looking back. Hey thats the ridge I was on!!

You know, this ridge looks fierce and steep in the photo, but the trail is so smooth and well-graded, that you hardly notice that you are climbing (even with a 50+ lbs pack on your back)

BTW... thank you Terra and Cwall for putting up with my cooking. I wasnt sure it would go. Im usually a boil water and add to the packet kinda gal

Shadee, your cooking was fa-bu-lous!!! You are the Iron Chef of the Outdoors! Thank you again for cooking the wonderful dinners !

ps - HikerBoy, my pack only holds 45 litres, but it holds them really, really well. too bad the NF Guide Pack is discontinued, because it is the most comfortable pack I've ever owned.

cheers - C Wall

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page