Set out last Friday with fellow CT'rs Chummy and Jase to try and summit Mt Baker, we planned to camp at the edge of the Coleman glacier and make a dash for the top at around 4:30am.
We set up camp at about 8pm with a bit of a wind blowing which steadily got worse, reaching what seemed to be gale force proportions by around midnight.
We were all very worried that the tents would blow away as it was really that bad, anyway they held firm but nobody got any sleep so by 4:30 we were all very tired and pretty reluctant to get going.
But undaunted by the lack of sleep we put our crampons, roped up and headed up the glacier.
It was a very bright and sunny day and the snow was already getting soft, after ten minutes we were down to shorts and tee shirts!
We hiked on up walking round and stepping over a few crevasses until we reached about 8,500 feet, we had been observing a number of climbers just below the Roman Wall who hadn't moved for over an hour and surmised that the snow conditions were to treacherous for a summit attempt.
As we were all knackered we decided to turn round and head back to camp.
We got chatting to a forest ranger at the campground who told us that the safest conditions to be had at the Roman Wall were at about 1am when the snow was at it's firmest.
Ah well it wasn't to be, will have to try again when the weather is less pleasant
Is this a Ptarmigan?
Nearly at the campground
Sunset over Baker looking towards Vancouver
Sunrise over Baker
On the way up
Onwards and upwards
Watch you don't fall there!
Time to head home