Mt Baker attempt - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Climbing, Skiing, Mountain Biking, and most other outdoor activities!!
Default Mt Baker attempt

Set out last Friday with fellow CT'rs Chummy and Jase to try and summit Mt Baker, we planned to camp at the edge of the Coleman glacier and make a dash for the top at around 4:30am.
We set up camp at about 8pm with a bit of a wind blowing which steadily got worse, reaching what seemed to be gale force proportions by around midnight.
We were all very worried that the tents would blow away as it was really that bad, anyway they held firm but nobody got any sleep so by 4:30 we were all very tired and pretty reluctant to get going.
But undaunted by the lack of sleep we put our crampons, roped up and headed up the glacier.
It was a very bright and sunny day and the snow was already getting soft, after ten minutes we were down to shorts and tee shirts!
We hiked on up walking round and stepping over a few crevasses until we reached about 8,500 feet, we had been observing a number of climbers just below the Roman Wall who hadn't moved for over an hour and surmised that the snow conditions were to treacherous for a summit attempt.
As we were all knackered we decided to turn round and head back to camp.
We got chatting to a forest ranger at the campground who told us that the safest conditions to be had at the Roman Wall were at about 1am when the snow was at it's firmest.
Ah well it wasn't to be, will have to try again when the weather is less pleasant
Is this a Ptarmigan? Nearly at the campground Sunset over Baker looking towards VancouverSunrise over Baker On the way up Onwards and upwards Watch you don't fall there! Time to head home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

beautiful pictures,I can never see enough of this area...

A place always worth visiting, even if you dont meet your goal that time, you always get rewarded with fabulous views

I really like the sunset and sunrise photos
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

Nice pics, i like the silhoettes here:

----------------------------------------
The tougher the climb, the better the food tastes. -Lupin-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 AM

I've had two Baker trips not work out this summer. I'm planning to try again in September. Just too soft up there now. Give me a shout if you're interested in hooking up. There was a forest fire between Shucksan & Baker on Saturday/Sunday so you're lucky you went on Friday. Was a real smokey mess the rest of the weekend.

----------------------------------------
The Mountains are calling and I must go. ~John Muir
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 07:06 AM

Great pictures. Brings back memories of the good old days. Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page