User Tag List

5Likes
  • 5 Post By simonc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: 10%
Default Damfino Peak (Welcome Pass/High Divide) - Aug 02 15

20 years ago I got into hiking. My brother and I did some good trips together but he's got a family now and he's more into rowing and cycling. He did kindle a deep desire in myself though to spend a lot of my time in the mountains. The past 6 years I've concentrated on new peaks with 300 or so accomplished and this trip to Damfino along with a side trip to Highmark Hill has realized this years goal of reaching the 600 mark.

Damfino is a tower/spire located in the high country between Yellow Aster Butte and the Church/Bearpaw Mountains area (or east of Damfino Lakes). No actual trail leads to it from the High Divide above Mount Baker Highway so it doesn't get a lot of visits.

From Glacier I drive 20km east and turn up the unmarked Forest Road 3060 (just before the Twin Lakes turnoff) and go a mile up that to the parking area. The Welcome Pass Trail follows the old logging road for a while then becomes a steep switchback trail up to the Pass where I get my first view of Damfino.

Welcome Butte then Damfino with McGuire in the far distance.

On a easy grade the High Divide Trail goes west towards Excelsior Pass but I decided to leave it early and head over towards Welcome Butte. Near the base of that I change my mind as I now had better sight lines and wander back towards the trail, picking it up for a brief moment before leaving it again and ascending up to Highmark Hill.

Yellow Aster Butte from near the base of Welcome Butte. The Pleiades at left with Pocket and Lindeman distant right.

Looking westward from Highmark Hill (1780m approx.) Church/Bearpaw area in the distance.

The view towards Damfino and the ridge route to get there. Tomyhoi Peak on the right.

From Highmark I drop down a little then turn northwards dropping some more before going up/down over a few bumps (some minor bushwacking) to approach a cliffy section. Going left (west) I drop down into a bowl with marmots whistling their warnings then up/down into another bowl before a steepish grassy climb back up to the ridge.

From here I could drop a little then gain the final ridgeline before turning right (east) but I chose to drop down and sidehill over to the base of the peak and bypass the knoll in front of it.

Damfino approach. Traverse under the knoll then up to the base. On the way back I went over the knoll then up to the north/south ridge to make it a mini loop.

The sidehill went okay and I reach the base of the peak. EAK has been here and he rated the climb as stiff class 3. Knowing that class 3 to him is sometimes class 4 to people like me I was a little apprehensive on the approach and it still looked a little foreboding directly below it too.

Damfino Peak west face.

In the end though it was a great little scramble with just one section I'd rate as stiff class 3 and the upper section has a minor gully to follow. Some rock is loose so I was checking my holds and I placed small cairns to help with the descent. Small flying ants were crowding out the summit so I touched it, found the summit log and retreated a little where I could sit down with some butterflies and ladybugs whilst mentally patting myself on the back for reaching peak 600.

Chilliwack and McGuire with JH rear left.

Mount Baker.

WNW view with Church/Bearpaw area at left. Bald and Black centre rear along with Cowap and Liumchen on the right.

1875m summit shot. Goat(s) and Sefrit framing me. Challenger area behind me I think.

Butterfly resting on my pack.

The summit log was saturated with water so I left it in the sun to dry out. Ed's name was in there and the last entry was from 3 years ago. After an hour or so on the summit I packed up and descended with no issues then headed up to the knoll.

The route basically goes up the middle with a few doglegs. Larrabee rear left, Goat and Sefrit rear right with YAB in front of them.

Descending off the knoll I then hiked up the grassy slopes to the main ridge for a few more shots before turning southward and closing the mini loop.

Tomyhoi and Damfino with Larrabee poking up between them.

Retracing my steps along the ridge I paused a couple of times for huckleberries. The only flowers left up here are fireweed.

Southeastern view - Goat, Sefrit, Icy, Shuksan (with Welcome Butte in front of it) and Herman.

Back to the High Divide area I take another break and drink most of my remaining fluids before picking up the trail and following out.

Damfino, Tomyhoi, American Border Peak and Larrabee.

Shuksan from the trail.

My right knee was starting to ache a lot and I wasn't looking forward to the steep downhill trail. I swallow 3 pain pills with my remaining water then head down. 4km later I'm back at my vehicle where I dump my pack then wander over to the creek nearby that features a concrete weir. Deep enough to jump in and even swim a few strokes. It cools me down fast and I wash off pine needles and trail grime before returning to my vehicle where the post hike beer goes down well.

Creek and weir/dam.

After changing clothes I drive out and back to the border where I drove right up to the crossing with no wait. From there it's a visit to my parents and once again my timing is good as they just had pizza delivered.

Map of area and route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of DSC00070.jpg
Views:	1274
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	76113  

Name:	Resize of DSC00079.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	76121  

Name:	Resize of DSC00089.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	76129  

Name:	Resize of DSC00090 copy.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	76137  

Name:	Resize of DSC00092.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	76145  

Name:	Resize of DSC00093.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	76153  

Name:	Resize of DSC00107.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	76161  

Name:	Resize of DSC00114.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	76169  

Name:	Resize of DSC00116.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	76177  

Name:	Resize of DSC00139.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	76185  

Name:	Resize of DSC00156-2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	76193  

Name:	Resize of DSC00143.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	76201  

Name:	Resize of DSC00165.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	76209  

Name:	Resize of DSC00172.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	76217  

Name:	Resize of DSC00175.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	76225  

Name:	Resize of DSC00188 copy.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	76233  

Name:	Resize of DSC00194.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	76241  

Name:	Resize of map.png
Views:	527
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	76249  

martin, culater, EAK and 2 others like this.

Last edited by simonc; 08-05-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Simon

An awesome accomplishment to hit 600 peaks; enjoyed your report and photos and found the attached map very helpful to place myself on the trail. ...

We have a fabulous playground, both north and south of the border.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Congratulations on your 600th peak - I have only ever made one, Mount Kenya. Which doesn't exactly count. However it doesn't stop me from enjoying a great TR to an area I love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:59 AM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

Your pictures are superb and you've done well!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

That looks great Simon and congrats on your 600th peak... amazing! Are Bald and Black in Canada or the U.S.A.? Guess I can research that myself.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Off the Beaten Path

600 peaks is quite the accomplishment! I see some travel in your future as you expand your horizons for the next 20 years
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanike View Post
That looks great Simon and congrats on your 600th peak... amazing! Are Bald and Black in Canada or the U.S.A.? Guess I can research that myself.
They are both in the US. Bald can be reached from a spur road off of Canyon Creek Road. Black has logging roads all around it.

Pikka, some travelling for sure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Congrats, Simon! Thanks for continuing to post these detailed reports! You are consistently inspiring me to explore new areas and the information you provide is excellent. Cheers!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Congrats on #600 Simon! Looks like a fine outing and that swim hole at the end of the hike is sure unique.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page