Deception Pass State Park - Apr 17/04 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.
Default Deception Pass State Park - Apr 17/04

My wife and I had a chance to revisit Deception Pass State Park again yesterday while down in the La Conner area. I think the uniqueness of the area and the ease of access keeps me coming back. I have visited it a number of times - great for little hikes mixed with some variety of views. There are an assortment of hiking trails throughout the park. Some of the most popular are those near the bridge network that connects Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound area. This is in the Puget Sound area of Washington State.

Taken from the Parks site:
Deception Pass State Park is a 4,134-acre marine and camping park with 77,000 feet of saltwater shoreline, and 33,900 feet of freshwater shoreline on four lakes. Rugged cliffs drop to meet the turbulent waters of Deception Pass. The park is outstanding for breath-taking views, old-growth forests and abundant wildlife.

Here are some shots of the areas surrounding the bridge:

Amazing what technology does for you. This guy obviously had no problems going through the 8 knot currents. Captain George Vancouver would have killed for one of these boats!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

That iron work is makes for some pretty nice pictures!

Looks like another great place to visit.

----------------------------------------
Who's yer Gnome!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

We have 'discovered' that area a few years ago, and enjoyed it on a couple of occasions. Sometimes one can see eagles perched atop the trees along the beach. And around this time of the year there is 'tulip festival' or something on the farms along the way.
Regards,
Eugene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

It is really neat place. It can definitely be a destination if you are wanting to explore the park more. Most tourists just visit the bridge and then continue on.

If you are looking for some cool daytrips, you can make Deception Pass a visit along the way to a couple other neat places. I've checked out Fort Casey (near the Keystone Ferry terminal). You can easily spend several hours hiking around in the fort area.

If you start early you can check out the fort and also take the ferry to Port Townsend (or just head right for Port Townsend). This is a neat little town which somewhat reminds me of Fort Langley.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 04:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

It is a beautiful area but the weekend we went down there the local airbase was having day and night practice and the "sounds of freedom" kept us up for a good part of the night. Had a sense of what it must be like in Bagdad. Carol vowed - "never again"

"Heaven is under our feet is well as over our heads" Thoreau
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Summit Master

Two other times to avoid that area is during the Lavender Festival in the Spring and the Harley Bike rally in Annacortez in the Fall.

"Function is beauty"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

It's a great area to check out-we were down there a couple of years ago.My kids loved the trails and beaches
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 06:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: BC Park Volunteer for the front and backcountry trails in Golden Ears Park. Also love to kayak !!!

Nice pic's Jim. I was there last summer again. Did you try Bungy Jumping off the bridge????????

The consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell your friends over and over again that you love them.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Summit Master

Jim you have "out done yourself"
Great pictures. Hopefully I'll get down there one of these days to check it out,now that I know what I'm missing.
I had a few friends that did a bike trip last year there, but the pictures were not anywhre near as spectacular as yours.

" No Trail is Long with Good Company."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page