Tomyhoi Thanksgiving Tarn-age 2013 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...
Default Tomyhoi Thanksgiving Tarn-age 2013

After picking up my new lightweight Big Agnes tent, titanium pot, Mini-Sawyer water filter, a big ass burrito, and a six pack of 1554 Black Ale in B'Ham I was off to the Tomyhoi/Yellow Aster Butt trailhead up near Baker.

There were more Canuck cars than Yank-mobiles at the TH…..Likely because it was Canuck Turkey Long Weekend. I hoisted my new lightweight setup and took my Slesse gimped ankle for its first serious walk in over a month. The ‘Gimp' faired well except for the odd feeling of electricity shooting through my ankle every 30th step.

Having been up this trail a couple of times previously I knew what to expect. I did not expect to hit snow at the 1.5Km point as it seemed pretty warm for the past few days—A strange little micro-climate exists up here for sure.

A couple of Women I passed along the way

I passed a number of folk on the way up as well as a number of people heading back down…..Seems everyone was just up for the day. The destination for all these people was Yellow Aster Butt. The 'Butt' is a worthwhile jaunt as the views are absolutely Bomb.

The Yanks know how to build and maintain some absolutely killer trails…..It is too bad a bunch of Tea-Baggers are dead set on crippling the country those morons supposedly love. Had many nice chats with Yanks on the trail about the wonderful people in American Gov't……Most agreed that the Repugs and the douchebag Tea-Baggers are a bunch of …….!

Tomyhoi off in the distance

After about two hours of slipping and sliding in my dayhikers I arrived at the base of the Yellow Aster Butt. My plan was to camp down at the tarns. Things sure looked a lot different than my two previous trips up here. The trail down to the tarns was somewhere under a couple feet a snow…..I found a fairly safe descent into the tarns. The snow was thigh deep in a few spots on the way down but at least it was nice dry snow.

Dug with Shuksan in the background

The Canadian Border Peaks

#2 Shuksan Trifecta.....Which is your fave?

What a wicked spot and I had it all to myself as the only human footprints to be found were mine…The temps at night dropped down to -8C…Way cooler than I had anticipated. My new lightweight setup weighed in at around 8Kg's and it all held up to some solid night-time winds and chilly temps.

My uber-sweet camp spot

Baker

As I was heading down I came around a corner and standing right in front of me was a big goat and a baby goat? WTH? A few seconds later an octeganrian lady rounded the corner and told me they were her goats and that she was training the baby goat to be a pack goat---Way too friggin' cool.

The only thing I need now is pack goat to take all the weight off my gimped ankle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Sign me up for one of those pack goats too.That is an excellent camp spot, Dug
Did the 8kg setup include chips and beer?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

Nice campout BD. A couple of years ago I arrived at the Welcome Pass TH at 4 am, when a guy in an old van drove up, unloaded 4 goats and took off up the trail. Goats are the new Llamas! If they didn't taste so bad U could think of them as food! Pictures of Shuksan are all nice but are kind of repetitious[]!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

great trip!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Never been to that area but every time I read a TR I start thinking about it again. Other than yearly trips to Maui I like to stay away from the good old USA. Yeah, Ted Cruz - the Baptist boy with the sandbox politics. What a joke. I wonder why you didn't wear burlier boots on the trip in consideration of your ankle.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Sweet looking trip man! doesnt get much better than that and yeah the goat ending is pretty classic.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Mick, I brought one bottle of beer and the one pound burrito......Chips and Guac when I got back to the car.

In the process of getting a ggod pair of boots but it takes a while with gimped feet.

I am going to pick up a goat.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Spectrum

Sweet looking trip man! doesnt get much better than that and yeah the goat ending is pretty classic.
Ditto

Stunnng !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page