Super Lite Tomyhoi August 25, 2013 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I like to mostly hike and snowshoe. Mountain biking, kayaking and adventure racing are some other things I spend my time doing.
Default Super Lite Tomyhoi August 25, 2013

Tomyhoi has been on my bucket list ever since I moved to Chilliwack almost 20 years ago. My climbing buddys were all busy Sunday so I felt it was a opportunity to do a solo trip to Tomyhoi peak. Checking the weather Saturday night it looked favorable for Sunday and past trip reports estimated the times 7-10 hours return so I opted to go lite hoping to acheive the bottom end of the 7-10 hours. Going lite is something I havent done for years as I usully hike with heavy mountianeering boots and a much heavier pack....felt strange.

6:30am at the trail heading up with only trail shoes, helmet, poles, 500ml water, 3 power bars and my Go Pro. Setting a brisk pace I arrived at the tarns in 1h20m from my truck. Now relizing this was too fast. In 2008 I had my right hip replaced and I no longer can run or hike fast without some discomfort in my hip and today was no exception.

Quick water break and a couple advils between the many tents at the tarns and I was heading up the ridge to Tomyhoi. Once on the ridge I slowed my pace to rest my hip and take in the incredible morning views all around me.

3h20m from the truck I was signing the register on the summit.. just relizing my long time dream just came true. Quick snack and a few photos and I was backclimbing down to the ridge and heading for home.

Heading down my hip felt much better and I was able to pick up the pace once again. Not seeing a sole the whole trip until I passed the tarns on the way down. This is where the steading stream of hikers began and I passed at least 50 hikers heading up, I arrived back at my truck at 12:30pm, exacly 6 hours from when I left the trail head.

I think I might try going lite more often.

1. GPS track
2. Tarn with a thin layer of ice
3. Mt Baker from upper ridge
4. One of the ramp to climb on the way back down
5. Upper ridge to Tomyhoi
6. Looking back at the many tarns from the ridge
7. More upper ridge to Tomyhoi
8. Summit registry
9. Summit shot

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Awesome Mark!! Great report!
Congrats on your summit and time it took.
This is one of my favourite areas. Great views, friendly people and a nice little scramble to the top!

Cheers
Kelly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Way to go Mark! Must have been a great feeling when you realized your dream had come true. Gorgeous pictures.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page