(Skyline Divide),Hadley Peak, Bastille Ridge - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections
Default (Skyline Divide),Hadley Peak, Bastille Ridge

I've always wanted to go back to hike up Bastille Ridge after a day trip to Hadley peak years ago. The ever popular Skyline Divide(Mt Baker area) is an inspiring ridge walk that delivers.
Hadley Peak is a 7500'/2287m peak about 4-5 hours along the ridge. From Hadley Peak I remember seeing the high point of Bastille Ridge and thinking it would be at most 1 hour to drop down to the col and ascend Bastille. This was my plan. Bastille ridge bounds the Coleman and Roosevelt glaciers on their East sides, and is the ridge often photographed at sunrise on a climb of Baker.

Hadley Pk left of center and Bastille right of center at same level.
The way along Skyline is easy and then the trail traverses right around some rugged areas. Some steep grassy ledges and loose rock(class 2+) might discourage some, but if you can get past this more gorgeous high green meadows lead towards Hadley Peak
Hadley Peak Always stay right.
Hadley Pk from Skyline Divide, the route traverses green meadows behind the ridge.
I reached Hadley Pk and had a good look around. Mt Baker is large. Saw some climbers coming up from the Ptarmigan Ridge side.
The last shot is Bastille very near the Base of Mt Baker.

It didn't look too difficult, cross a relatively easy snowfield/small glacier then scramble up loose looking rock. Since I don't have the stamina I used to I opted for light (waterproof) hiking shoes, instead of heavy leather meindel boots. The shoes are great until snow is encountered. Then they suck huge! I followed goat tracks where they made traversing snow easier due to more mini level spots, but still had to cut tracks with my axe for a long time. The shoes have little ability to edge so a level platform was made for every step.
Looking back at Hadley Peak from my descent route on Bastille.
The route up Bastille wasn't fun, as the easy scrambling turned into nasty volcanic rock that was glassy smooth. Therefore scrambling took on a serious nature and I knew I wasn't coming down this route. The way down was a loose looking class 3 scramble that turned out to be a surface of hard cement like rock that was covered with a thin veneer of loose stuff. Several 100 ft of this and then another long traverse across and down a snowfield. I'm done with this peak and if you ever go...do it in winter as a ski!

Now for the views!

*Climbing of course can be hazardous, gain experience, always gauge your own abilities and don't allow others to push or ask you to do what you are not comfortable with. I didn't chose to go solo on this trip but ended up doing so. I believe that when I go alone the chances of injury are less so than when with a group(especially a large group), because of the ability to focus my attention on the job at hand. Of course if something were to occur then the consequences could be more serious very quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

This suits you.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

^^^no, it doesn't. You're not 10,000 years ole, lol

Very impressive Ed, I really like this shot...

Happy trails,
Lynn

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page