Thunder Creek - Northern Cascades- June 14-16 2013 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Thunder Creek - Northern Cascades- June 14-16 2013

First trip of the year, wanted to stay below the snow, and had never camped in Washington before, so thought Thunder Creek might be a nice start to my season. I also brought a work friend who is new to the Pacific Northwest backcountry.

We set out Friday afternoon, and it was pretty gloomy in Vancouver, but hopes were still high. Everything was smooth sailing - until we got stopped at the border for illegal contraband! Apparently I couldn't smuggle in a red pepper, and a dozen cherry tomatoes. Totally forgot how there are restrictions on that sort of thing, although still not sure why.

We got to the ranger station 10 minutes before closing to get our trail passes, then drove the rest of the way to Colonial Campground, and the Thunder Creek trailhead. We hiked in about 3km and stayed at Neve camp, which was really nice. First night was a success, and it really helps having light until almost 10pm!

The next morning we packed up, and began the 13km hike to Junction camp. Now that we weren't so rushed, I snapped a few photos along the way. It was really nice following the 'creek' - which seemed more like an aggressive river at most spots!

After we got to the site I took a little side hike to go check out the Rock Cabin that another hiker told me about. It was about half an hour up Fisher Creek trail, and it was pretty neat - not nearly as creepy as the one in the BC Cascades I saw last year!

When I got back we started dinner - pork tenderloin cooked on a rock beside the fire - delicious.

The next morning we decided to explore a side trail down into the marsh, and when we got to the bottom we found a cabin, known as Meadow Cabin. There was some literature inside about the old mining days in the park. We ate breakfast down there, then when we got back to the site the sun was out and made the view even nicer, so I took one last pic before we packed up and hiked the 16km back to the truck. Oddly enough, when we got there, a Clif bar I had inside, had the package torn open and some of it eaten. I guess my truck isn't mouse proof!

We took a quick dip in the cold (but not nearly as cold as the creek) Diablo lake, then headed out to grab a bite to eat at the Red Caboose BBQ, for a smoked brisket sandwich, which was phenomenal. Highly recommended. Overall the trip was excellent. A good start to the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Nice trip!!! Love that area
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

Wow looks fantastic. Gonna have to try that one this weekend.
And notes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

How are you packing that meat to keep it safe from spoiling the next day?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Hey sixwings, I usually marinate it, and make sure its frozen solid up until the minute I leave my house. It'll still be frozen the first night, but by the 2nd night it should be good to go. The bigger the portions, the longer it stays frozen/cold. I had success with 6 steaks frozen together and vacuum packed (I think that helps lots too - no fresh air to spoil it), that we ate on the 3rd day of an Ontario canoe trip in mid-August!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sma2cci

Hey sixwings, I usually marinate it, and make sure its frozen solid up until the minute I leave my house. It'll still be frozen the first night, but by the 2nd night it should be good to go. The bigger the portions, the longer it stays frozen/cold. I had success with 6 steaks frozen together and vacuum packed (I think that helps lots too - no fresh air to spoil it), that we ate on the 3rd day of an Ontario canoe trip in mid-August!
Interesting, thanks for the info! The idea of pork tenderloin on the 3rd day of a hiking trip just sounds delicious. No more Annie's pasta for me!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page