Thunder Knob/Thunder Creek/Fourth of July Camp - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!
Default Thunder Knob/Thunder Creek/Fourth of July Camp

BG and family were not the only ones that got to enjoy the splendors along Hwy 20 this past weekend . Rolling R, Piika, Shoeless John, Calixtomoon and two non-CT friends chose a Colonial Creek campout after my attempt to host a Goat Lake trip became an embarrassing organizational failure. Gawd, I'm awesome….[V]

The plan was to set up camp, hike Thunder Creek to 4th of July Camp and then, on Sunday, have a relaxing jaunt up Thunder Knob and drive to Washington Pass before heading home.

After our morning border ventures (watermelon, potatoes, and 6..yes 6 BOTTLES of alcohol…REALLY?), the Trader Joe's run (yes, we were part of the mob of touristy Canadians lined up outside the door at 8am with our trendy bags in hand), our Cook Road Shell Station Beerorgy (the beer lovers in our group were nearly orgasmic when they saw the wall of choices), and our visit at the North Cascades Ranger Station, we arrived at camp much later than we had hoped.

So, we set up camp, and set out for Thunder Knob instead. Here is where we came upon BG, Exscape and the wee one heading back into camp with armfuls of firewood. In agreement with Billygoat's report, this hike is a great little leg stretcher, with super views as payoff at the end. Worth doing for sure.

After that, it was time to enjoy the spoils of our gas station shopping adventure, burn some potatoes and singe our eyebrows with the campfire. Richard even got us started with a bottle of champagne!

Next day, we were on the Thunder Creek Trail at 10am, sublimely happy that it had rained only minimally overnight, and the day was looking pretty good weather-wise. The first approx. two miles of trail are basically flat. After that, I was in the 'don't talk to me, I'm breathing' mode…pretty much until we got to the camp. The trail was in great shape with no snow and almost dry the whole way. There were only a few small blowdowns to hop over and minor creeks to cross. The mosquitoes were huge and only bothered us when we stopped at the creeks.

We debated about going further towards the pass, but a couple of backpackers heading down told us that the trail was quite flooded, and of course, there was also snow…so, we decided to enjoy the view from where we were, and eat our lunches.

On the way back, we were talking about an overnight trip up Tikwalus that a few of us had done the week before.. Debra said something along the lines of "I don't think I could have done it. I would have been too freaked out about ticks…." About 30 seconds later (no exaggeration), she stopped and said, "will you look on my neck and see if there is something there?" A gasp from Christine made me look closer, and my eyes about popped out of my head. Sure enough, there was a tick taking a nose dive into the back of Debra's neck. My comment was something like "Holy PHUCK….GET A TWEEZER!" The ensuing acts of me dumping my first aid kit and pulling out my dainty purple tweezers, John pulling out his 5-inch surgical-looking remover, the slightly frantic discussion of how to actually use the remover, and who was going to try and get it out, Christine telling us (probably just me) to calm down and make a plan, me trying to keep my hand from unexplained palsy-like shaking as I tried not to stab a hole in Deb's neck..and the eventual success of calm Carl actually removing the dastardly bug, was something for Clubtread TV. [:0][)][:I] It was a group effort!!

The tick extraction was a first for all of us, and I daresay that I think it would go much smoother next time around. I know you experienced tick people are probably laughing and peeing. But personally, I have read about them, and what to do, but actually seeing it, and doing it, and trying not to be grossed out really got my adrenaline going…crazy. We put the thing in a bag (all in one piece) and Deb is taking antibiotics for a week. She had weird sensation down one arm, nausea and of course, soreness at the bite site...so obviously our extraction wasn't perfect.

The rest of the trip down was uneventful and fast. Not to mention, kind of hard on my knees. We saw lots of Calypso Orchids (even some that were white/blonde color), Dogwood flowers and Trillium….plus several others that I can't name). The enormous trees were amazing to gawk at.

Deb and I headed for home, with no Trader Joe's stop since she wasn't feeling well. We got stuck on Hwy 20 after a terrible car crash (looked like a body on side of road under cover..no ambulance). Two wheels with axle were completely off the car…complete destruction.

But the rest of the group got to have another enjoyable evening. From the pics, I see that they went further East on Hwy 20 yesterday and managed to get themselves up to the Washington Pass Lookout, which is one of the most stunning viewpoints I have been to. Maybe they can fill in the blanks here…

Great trip guys! And, not bad as a consolation prize after the Goat Lake mishap! If I do say so myself…[:0][)][:I]

My pics not all downloaded yet...

Pics from Shoeless John:

Richard's Pic:

what's wrong here? [:0]

More pics to follow:

Chaos, Panic & Disorder----my work here is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Charlene: Colonial Camp and environs was an awesome suggestion, and a great prize in itself- thanks for planning such a great alternate trip for us!

Will get some pics up later tonight...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Looks like a good time! I can just picture the chaos that ensued when you found the tick on poor Debra's neck, lol. [:0]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

Eeewww, ticks;0 That's the 3rd 'gruesome' tick incident I've heard about this month, in 3 different areas too: Squamish, Fraser Canyon, and this time the Cascades. Good going on the tick removal! - and putting our wilderness first aid course into practice.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Said it befre, and I'll say it again = your TRs are must read!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Off the Beaten Path

[u]4th of July Camp/ Colonial Creek Campground</u>

Quite a nice trail with lots of backpacking opportunities, including numerous sites if you just stay along Thunder Creek.

1. Stuff a'bloomin 2. Cool rock on the lower trail 3. Thunder Creek 4. Nice, even switchbacks from the junction on up

5&6. Shades of Conway 7. Perfect time for waterfalls 8. Tonnes of these pretties 9. Two maps are better than one

10. A Day Use area at a backcountry campsite? 11. Seems clear 12. View from camp 13. The facilities 14. Looking down towards Diablo

Colonial Creek has some really nice lakefront spots- I kept wishing I had brought a boat to paddle.

11&12. Arm of Diablo Lake in front our campsite 12. One food cache per site

[u]Washington Pass Overlook</u>

Monday was a fine morning, so we drove east for the gorgeous mountain views.

A stop at Rainy Pass and the PCT:

When I was a young teen, my dad and I drove through here on a road-trip across the US, and I will never forget how blown-away I was by the truly incredible view of Liberty Bell and it's surrounding peaks. I've been through since, but hadn't ever stopped in at the overlook. I am so glad I did this time. What an amazing place, with it's viewpoints winding over the rocky outcrop.

The road access was closed as there is still a bit of snow on the paths and near the facilities, but it was only a km or so round-trip to walk in from the highway. We were so very lucky to have the place to ourselves for a good 20 mins, to explore and enjoy the peace of our majestic surroundings and stretch out for a bit on the sun-warmed rock. [^]

[u]Ross Lake/Diablo Overlooks</u>

Just a small pull-out on the side of the highway, but a nice view up Ross lake (Hey, I can see Canada!) and of Jack and Little Jack Mountains (Someday...).

Last stop on our Hwy 20 tour- the viewpoint over Diablo Lake, looking across at Thunder Knob and the Colonial Creek campground.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Tx Mick
C: Bummer that I missed the WA pass adventure...next time for sure.
Margaret Guess you are out for Lake Chelan after reading that report?!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for organizing the trip. It was a great relaxing trip. A little ticked by the tick. Hope Debra is feeling better now. I'm wondering if the doctor bother to send the tick to a lab. I think from now on, I'm wearing pink and purple on a hike. Looking back at Piika's picture, I just realized I should have visited the facility. I've never seen one like that before.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks Mick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

Said it befre, and I'll say it again = your TRs are must read!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

John: Yes, they did send it off to the lab. And for future ref. they say to keep the tick in a container with a moist cotton ball.

And...You hiking in pink and purple will just help me add to my collection of fabulous photos of you...bring it on!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page