Mt Sefrit attempt, Sept 2012 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mt Sefrit attempt, Sept 2012

I was reluctantly talked into an attempt of Mt Sefrit in early September by dR. There's not a whole lot of beta out there about this peak so I thought some photos would be helpful to others (to avoid the mistake we made).

We approached via the Nooksack Cirque Trail as per Becky's description for the Southwest Route. After leaving the trail, the bush was better than we expected, but the terrain was quite steep. We typically trended right to outflank rocky bluffs and eventually arrived on the ridge below Sefrit's west peak at about 5500 ft.

We then traversed meadows below the west peak and crossed several gullies.

And then were confronted by the confusing array of Sefrit's sub-summits. Its very difficult to tell which is highest from below.

We elected to climb this pinnacle. It was about 25m of class 3-4 with a fair amount of exposure.

We briefly celebrated the summit before looking east and experiencing the painful realization that the next peak seemed higher ... #$%!

The true summit (we believe) is the one on the right (we climbed the one on the left). Unfortunately, we were too tired to get it done that day so I guess I'm stuck having to go back.

A note on the descent - on the way down we trended too far to skiers left and were in much worse bush than on the way up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 AM
High on the Mountain Top

You're right. It's the one on the right. I got my two dogs up it. I agree there is a confusing array of summits.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

The north side(from Hannegan trailhead) provides a route that leads to the highest Peak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EAK

The north side(from Hannegan trailhead) provides a route that leads to the highest Peak.
Probably best in spring utilizing a snow gulley through the cliff band.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page