Oyster Dome and Deception Pass - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.
Default Oyster Dome and Deception Pass

This morning I picked Kelly and Mark up in Sardis and Karl in Abbotsford. We still didn't know for sure where we were going. We were discussing Oyster Dome (original plan), Diablo, Oregon, even California. Driving through the border was interesting. Where are you going? Oyster Dome. Oysters for breakfast? No, a hike. Oh that's the name of a hike? Yes. Is it along Chuckanut Dr.? Yes. Any fruit to declare? Yes, a mandarin. Hand it over and no one gets hurt.

The drive down was promising and we could see patches of blue sky. Also, I don't know if I've ever driven through Bellingham on a Sun. morning but it was nice! Hardly any traffic!

Got onto Chuckanut Dr. and started to see a number of different TH's. Knew ours was past the Oyster Bar Restaurant. Arrived at the TH and parked on the right side of the road.

TH sign(s), part of the Pacific Northwest Trail:

Trail started out steep and in no time at all we were looking down at my car.

1 mile later we arrrived at our first viewpoint overlooking the San Juan Islands:

One thing I learned today is that Karl is a trailrunner! He set such a quick pace but we were able to keep up! If only he knew how much we were all sweating behind him. The sights on this trail were great for a fall day. Beautiful colors, ferns, mosses, creekbeds:

Came across some boulders. Not having my book with me, we wondered if these were or this was the area of the "bat caves" that some go to check out. Later we learned apparently not. There is a trail off the main trail for the caves. Still cool.

More scenes from along the way:

Came to a sign that pointed left for Oyster Dome and right for Lily Lake. Took the trail to the left. A couple from Vancouver were coming down and told us, "you are almost there" and "you will love the views"! Re: the views, they were kidding. Still a good hike.

Noted the time and it took us approximately 2 hrs and 15 minutes to get to the top and now it was time for lunch:

Cool shelter:

On the way down we bumped into numerous people, even jumpers heading up with their large packs.

After our hike (less than 4 hrs return) it was still early. I told the guys we could do whatever they wanted. The vote was in favor of heading to Deception Pass.

Here we entered our own little worlds. Mark sat on a rock and fell asleep oh I mean soaked it all in, Kelly went for a walk across the bridge and maybe down to the beach. Karl and I took off and made it right down to the water.

Are we having fun yet?

sunset, almost:

After this the guys were asking where we would go from here. Once again I told them it was up to them. I was just the chaffeur. It was decided we should start heading back but first I would take them to the Mt. Erie Lookout.

All in all it was a great hike, good workout, nice drive and fun time. Thanks Kelly, Mark and Karl for signing up. I enjoyed your company.

Edit: Trail Stats: 6.5 miles or 11 km.
Elevation Gain: 637 meters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thank you Janice for the fun trip and to you, Marc, and Kelly for the excellent company.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Great day everyone!!
Here are some shots from my camera...Oster Dome

...and some pictures from Deception Pass area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I have two sets of photos, two cameras.

This is set one from the Kodak camera...
**Hike up Oyster Dome. no views from top (the hike like work up)
Lunch spot on top - Kanike having lunch, and our group shot..

Mt. Erie with views (great view with drive up)

Set two from Sony Camera to come:

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM
High on the Mountain Top

When I clicked on this link from the home page's recent links list, I fully expected to see winter scenery from the Canadian Rockies Skoki area. It also happens to have a "Deception Pass" and a nearby mountain called Oyster Peak.

Cool photos. I really want to explore this area one day. It looks pretty steep though, and the grip on your boots is amazing!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

great pictures guys...too bad the oyster dome was so socked in.....way to go!!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

A few more pictures to share from my Sony AT33

OYSTER DOME, up and down the trail.

DECEPTION PASS, off road trail.

MT. ERIE: .. a drive up, good views and especially to the south.

A great day, enjoyed....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Google Image -GPS Tracks:

Oyster Dome Trail:
..closeup face view .(does look like a dome).

Deception Pass:
Zoom in ->>

K
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Thanks Kelly and Karl for adding your pics. Good stuff. If you ever want to do that again I'll take you to Ebey's Landing and Ft. Casey or we could head over to Diablo for the day.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kanike

Thanks Kelly and Karl for adding your pics. Good stuff. If you ever want to do that again I'll take you to Ebey's Landing and Ft. Casey or we could head over to Diablo for the day.
Hey Janice...that was a lot of fun. Definately have to explore #20 hwy, diablo lakes and gorge..maybe some lookout towers too.
Thanks again for being the tour guide.
Kelly

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page