Lake Ann - September 21 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Lake Ann - September 21

just a quick trip report about our hike up to Lake Ann last weekend. i guess i'm a little late posting it now but here goes!

after a week of beautiful, sunny weather, we awoke on Friday morning to find a sort of haze/overcast conditions. naturally, on hiking day! off we headed to the trailhead, and the further we drove up the highway in elevation, the better the conditions became. by the time we reached the parking lot we were standing under a bright, blue sky - and looking down at the very thick low lying clouds.

got on the trail at around noonish, a very lazy start by my standards, but i was told it was best hiked in the afternoon anyway. views toward Baker started opening up from in the forest;

notice the low-lying clouds. we drove up in that!

pretty amazing when it's flipped and the poor weather's in the valley...

arrived at the highpoint before the lake and headed a short distance toward Mt. Shuksan and the glaciers. excellent view from this area.

and back down to the lake, which was almost completely thawed out but not quite enough for a swim. i guess Elfin Lakes last weekend may end up being my last alpine lake swim of 2012...

view back toward Shuksan on the way out.

overall, a great day to be out. kind of wish we'd overnighted there. oh well, maybe next time!

anybody else do this one this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Beautiful shot of the lake and mountains, primo.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Sweet...Another spot on my to-do list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Better late than never! I've been tempted to check this trail out but other hikes in the area have won out. I'm sure I'll get this one crossed off soon enough. btw, in answer to your question, pikka hiked Lake Ann about a month ago and wrote up a report. (solo hike). Thanks for posting.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I did this trail years ago on my way out from a climb of the north face of Shuksan. I have trouble remembering what the trail was like, but I can remember my hallucinations at the time in vivid detail.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Ohh yes, I recall reading it now. It probably influenced my desire to do the hike, without me knowing it...

Yeah, it's one of many very good ones in that area. I haven't had a day out in that area I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

Dru - hallucinations?

Low blood sugar, exhaustion or wild mushrooms?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Yep the first two. Low blood sugar and dehydration. I spent an hour hiking the wrong way because I was sure I'd seen cars and chalet roofs in a parking lot to the south.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hmm... I've never been out that way, but there actually is an "unmaintained" trail to the south from there that leads to a fairly developed looking area south of Baker...? Maybe the chalets weren't a product of your imagination after all! ( You probably would have had to walk more than an hour to get anywhere near the other side, though )

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page