Chain Lakes in the Mist- Sept. 22 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Chain Lakes in the Mist- Sept. 22

Blucruisin had a hankering for a Baker-area hike, and Skyhawk and I were game for a Saturday exploration. Fall was definitely in the air: the bluebird sky we had gotten so used to this September was hiding behind the clouds as we drove up.

We decided to start out near the Heather Meadows visitor centre, heading at first to the left, but the limited visibility made the hop, skip and jump over to the main trail tricky to scout, so we turned back and down to the right over the stone bridge.

All the mist made Ron and I feel like we were in storybook Scotland and I kept half expecting the lanky neck of the Loch Ness monster to show itself through the blanket of fog.

Soon the path wound its way among the rocks towards Herman Saddle and we climbed through mysteriously swirling mists, hearing many pikas and catching glimpses of a few as they scurried about with their important task of gathering grass before the snow returns.

Lots of blueberry-poop stained rocks on the way up!

When we reached the saddle we had a little think-break before we carried on down to the forest enveloped lakes below for a well-deserved lunch stop.

Thus far we had periodically felt and seen the sun trying to burn a hole in the clouds, but while eating lunch it came through enough for us to actually see our shadows, our mist-drenched hair and skin warming ever so slightly. We even got a peek-a-boo view of Ptarmigan Ridge and Baker, before the curtains closed again.

Energy reserves topped up, we headed over to Iceberg lake where we were greeted with a temporarily-clear and lovely view accompanied by a Table mountain backdrop.

From there it was on through the growing crowds of hikers and past the enshrouded Ptarmigan turn off. Before long we were at the now-full Artist Point parking lot where we had cleverly dropped a vehicle to avoid a Wild Goose return to our original trailhead.

It never did quite clear up for us, but we enjoyed our misty day nonetheless, folowing the hike up with some apres-hike refreshments at the Chair 9 pub in Glacier (the chanterelle appetizer is highly recommended!).
Thanks to my hiking partners for such a wonderful day out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

It was wonderful to finally get my Baker fix! Thanks for to piika and Skyhawk for being the wonderful hiking companions they are. A few of my pictures:

Mandatory group picture

Yukon really enjoyed swimming in the lakes we encountered.

Ron found some wildflowers to admire

Still lots of blooms to find

On the way home we stopped in Sumas for their Bull-a-Rama Days. Ron took up the challenge of riding a wild bull while piika and I checked out one of the locals. []

Cheers!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Hiking in the Mt. Baker area is a pleasure even when the weather isn't perfect. Glad you got your fix, Sue! Great shots of the flora still in vibrant colour. Good to see Ron on the trails, too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page