Hitting the B.A.R. (Baker, Adams, Rainier) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Hitting the B.A.R. (Baker, Adams, Rainier)

As the end of summer quickly approaches I thought it was time I shared a little of what I have been up to this summer.

This past winter a friend and talked about which mountains we wanted to tackle this summer. We had both completed a number of courses (mountaineering, AST etc) and felt that we should put our new found knowledge to use. We sat in the climbing gym debating and discussing which peaks were within our abilities and worthy of an attempt. The names Baker, Adams and Rainier all got thrown around. It didn't take long to decide: why not attempt all 3? Doing the 3 highest peaks in Washington state seemed like a fair objective.

We planned out our trips starting with Mt. Adams in June followed by Baker and Rainier in the next 2 months. By the end of August we had successfully climbed Rainier and Baker. We were about 300 ft short of hitting the summit on Mt Adams due to high winds and white out conditions. All in all it was a huge success and I can't wait to return to each and attempt a different route.

Since pictures are worth a thousand words I'll keep my reports on each trip very short.

Mt Adams: 12,281 ft

We attempted Mt. Adams in mid June. There was still plenty of snow the access road was partially blocked. We had to add an extra 5km to our hike just to reach the parking lot. For those that have done this mountain before you can imagine how tiring it would be to add the extra distance. We brought snow shoes with us as the snow was quite soft and we were glad we did. We camped around 9000 ft and were the 1st ones up to make our summit attempt. The summit was completely socked in with clouds and was whipped with high winds. Visibility was about 20 ft so we decided to call it off and come down. About 1/2 hour after we reached our camp the summit cleared up. I guess being the early bird didn't help for this one.

Mt. Baker: 10,781 ft

Next on the list was Baker. We gathered up 4 more friends from the climbing gym for Mt. Baker. After doing a couple of days of crevasse rescue training with the group on Slesse we set out. It could not have gone more smoothly. The weather was perfect and everyone did exceptionally well.

Mt. Rainier: 14,411ft

Our final objective. Everything we had been doing was leading up to Mt. Rainier. The mountain is so much bigger in so many ways. The height of the mountain and magnitude of the terrain is awe inspiring. My climbing partner and I recruited a friend form Seattle to make up our team of three for this trip. Being the first trip for the two of us at this altitude we decided to break it up over 3 days. We stayed about 3000 ft below Ingram flats the 1st night and stayed at Ingram the 2nd night. Again we were the 1st ones up as we set out from out camp at midnight. It was cold, windy and cloudy. It was just what we had expected. My climbing partner and I were both feeling the altitude at the summit as headaches set in and I lost my appetite. Our friend from Seattle had just returned from Peru and had spent the last two weeks over 10,000 ft. We spent only a short time at the summit before setting out on our decent. We had watch a thunder storm off in the distance and it was still fresh in our memories. As we descended we couldn't believe the number of people we passed coming up. At one point there was a 175 ft deep crevasse of which the snow bridge across it had collapsed a few days before hand. The bridge fell into the crevasse and formed a plug about 10-15 ft down. There was a ladder setup to get up the one side. If this wasn't exciting enough, we were met by a huge group coming up at this point. There was no place to pass them except on this chunk of ice and snow wedge in the crevasse. We not-so-patiently waited for them to get out of our way so we could continue our decent. As we waited it started to hail. This was not a good sign. Just we started to notice the hail coming down a huge flash of light blinded us while at the same time a giant clap of thunder rung through my ears. It was time to move. We began to "encourage" our friends coming up to move out of our way with a little more haste. Soon were back under way and made good time back to camp. By then we were well out of the cloud cover and felt a little safer. We took a quick break before packing up and continuing our decent.

So, that was my summer! Well... that and a few trips to Skaha and Squamish. I guess the big question is what's next? I'm thinking a trip to Ecuador in the spring is in order. After that a return to these three next summer; there's always another route.

Happy climbing everyone!

-Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Wow Russ. Fantastic.

Congratulations.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Very nicely done!! Congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

What a great way to spend summer! Can Hood and Shasta be far behind?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rustysheep

At one point there was a 175 ft deep crevasse of which the snow bridge across it had collapsed a few days before hand. The bridge fell into the crevasse and formed a plug about 10-15 ft down. There was a ladder setup to get up the one side. If this wasn't exciting enough, we were met by a huge group coming up at this point. There was no place to pass them except on this chunk of ice and snow wedge in the crevasse. We not-so-patiently waited for them to get out of our way so we could continue our decent. As we waited it started to hail. This was not a good sign. Just we started to notice the hail coming down a huge flash of light blinded us while at the same time a giant clap of thunder rung through my ears. It was time to move. We began to "encourage" our friends coming up to move out of our way with a little more haste. Soon were back under way and made good time back to camp.
People are definitely the biggest objective hazard on the DC route.

Thanks for the updates and TR.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Escape & Springbow: Thanks!

Mick Range: Shasta and Hood are on my radar. Looking to attempt Mt. Matier in the next couple of weeks then next spring I hope to go to Ecuador and attempt Cotopaxi and Chimborazo.

Leimrod: It was amazing to see some of the people that were up there. I don't think a lot them understand that mountain and how serious it is. While we tried to sleep I could overhear someone asking what they were supposed to do for water as there was no running water at camp. Then a little wile later they ran out of fuel because they didn't bring enough to melt snow. That mountain kills someone every year (5 this year) and yet there was still utterly under prepared people up there. I can't say how privileged I feel to have such a solid group of climbing partners.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow. I am impressed on what you have accomplished: 3 grand mountains. And your aspirations are inspiring.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page