Ptarmigan Ridge x 4 weeks in a row. :) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.
Default Ptarmigan Ridge x 4 weeks in a row. :)

Wrote a trip report for Ptarmigan Ridge on Aug. 18th. I was so impressed with this hike that I was drawn back and keep being drawn back!

On Aug. 25th I invited a friend from Japan to join me. We managed to go quite a ways along the trail. Past the Coleman Pinnacle, past the red rock and to the volcanic rock section. My friend hadn't hiked in 2 months and was feeling tired but she wanted to see as much as her legs would allow. On our way back I hiked down to some glacier blue lakes while she waited for me. It was a wonderful day!

Aug. 28th Thought my parents would enjoy this hike. Called them up and they were keen. I was only planning to take them to the Ptarmigan Ridge/Chain Lakes signpost but what I forget is what's easy for me may be a challenge to others. My mum looked nervous but I thought she'd get over it. About 25 minutes into our hike she burst into tears. She claimed it was too steep for her on the left side. She was afraid of falling and felt bad for ruining our hike. I laughed, told her it was ok and that we would turn around. Once back at the parking lot we discovered the Artist Point Trail which she was comfortable with and then we took an evening walk around Picture Lake.

Sept. 2nd The first time I hiked this trail my friends and I met a guy from Abbotsford who joined our group. I hiked it again the following week and bumped into the same guy so we exchanged info and now we're hiking partners! This was the long weekend. We were pulled in at the border (random check), asked if we had any snails to declare (seriously!). Artist Point parking lot was packed! My friend and I hiked the whole section of trail and this time I knew we made it to the end (for those who don't know this is a trail that keeps going and going). I looked over the edge and that's when I knew. Severe drop off. A few of my pictures show this spot. We were on the ridge to the left. Day was done! Time to check out and off some more Mt. Baker hikes!

ps to those of you who are into goat watching, on two of these hikes there were sightings of goats. Not by me but mentioned but other hikers. One group said they saw 13 goats and another group mentioned seeing 23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Wow Janice,your getting some beautiful hikes in this year!!! Stunning pictures,I might have
to go to "America" lol!! Haven't been since before 9/11
Thanks for sharing
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Can't get enough of that Baker area, eh? For good reason. And a nice pina colada day too!

That's awesome of you to share it with others.

Ended up down there this weekend myself again too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I love those ptarmigan shots ... it's always a bonus to see them. In another month they'll be in their winter plumage. I have never been on the ridge without seeing mountain goats, but it helps to know where they tend to hang out. Thanks for posting your great pictures - I hope to get up there again before the season is over.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

You are whetting my appetite for my trip to Baker for a long weekend 10 days from now! Fingers crossed for weather holding ...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Pretty fantastic Janice. I love that you hiked past the pinnacle. I've only been as far as the chain lakes junction.

So when are we doing Tomyhoi?

Susie when you're up, drop me a line.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

those last snowfields are the portals of Baker, very fine early skiing, countdown is on...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Your TR - with the pretty pics - reminded us we'd postponed going there this year, so headed up Saturday.

Even saw mountain goats:

herd heading towards skiers working back up.

Tried telling Nicole that the goats were hunting - that they enjoy a skier or two for dinner now and again. But she's of an age where she just ain't all that credulous, too bad.

Thanks for the TR!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Thanks for the comments noquitting, Christine, Hedda and susie.

Jenn: Tomyhoi is on my list so before next year would be nice.

Tu: Glad to hear my report was an inspiration to you. Sometimes I wonder if it`s worth my time to post them, seriously. You`re very fortunate to have seen the goats and I`m trying to figure out exactly where you saw them. I also wonder what other stories you try to tell Nicole! fyi, I was up Hannegan Peak Sat. Posted a report but posted it in the wrong section. (Regional Discussion).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 AM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Speaking for myself - if you stop posting TRs, I'd miss them .

Here's a contextual shot:

the goats this trip found right about the middle. You can see the ridge end of the Ptarmigan Ridge trail in the photo as well.

The view taken right after you pass two very pretty tarns on the left, the ones that make me say 'Oh those are really pretty. I really should head over there sometime and check them out'. The ones you did, indeed, check out.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Splendid Photo Array. Many beautiful pictures of such a superb area to explore and romp in. The ideal weather conditions are super, we need more.

K
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thank you Tu! I know the valley you mean. I looked out and down that area many times. I even ran and climbed up that little knoll? past the volcanic rock section to the left, past the small tarn while Noriko waited for me. ps the following week I went the tarn wasn't there?! (speaking of a different tarn further along the trail). I was planning to show Andrew and it was all dried up so maybe the goats had been drinking the water and made a liar out of me? haha.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Scaling New Heights

Nice photos! Was actually planning a first hiking trip to Washington for this weekend or the next. I think I'll give this one a go now - especially since you say there are chances for goat sightings!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hi sma2cci, goat sightings for sure. Just so you know my friend saw them a couple of weeks ago in the same area Tu did so past Coleman's Pinnacle. He also hiked there last week and came across a licensed goat hunter with bow and arrow so be warned, it is hunting season in WA. so wear bright colors.

Also, as a tip when you start hiking the trail, within 5 minutes you will come to a box. Open the lid of the box and sign in for your hike. When you're finished write the word OUT. On these pages ppl leave comments. If you're lucky you will see that campers and early morning hikers, etc. have commented on where they saw the goats and how many.

Hope you get to see some and look forward to a report. Enjoy your hike. It's the best hike in the Pacific Northwest! #1!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page