Yellow Aster Butte, September 8 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Yellow Aster Butte, September 8

Had a day off today, so we decided to drive down Mt. Baker Hwy 542 in Washington and check out the Yellow Aster Butte trail.

I think we were about the fifth car in the parking area, turns out we'd end up being fifth out of about a hundred! Got a fairly early start even with the border line up, the mandatory stop at the Wake 'n Bakery, and picking up a forest pass in Glacier. I think we hit the trail at about 830.

Trail starts in the forest, and eventually opens up to reveal increasingly better and better views of Shuksan and Baker. It's mostly snow free at this point aside from the one large snowfield.

The higher we climbed, the more wildflowers there were. I don't think I've ever seen quite as much color on a hike not in peak fall season. It was something else.

Made it to the summit of the Butte around 1130 and spent about an hour up there, soaking in the views and enjoying our turkey wraps from the Wake 'n Bakery. Decent! The view to the south toward Shuksan and Baker is magnificent, as is the view north into Larabee and American Border Peak. It's really quite different from a lot of the other Baker hikes in terms of scenic climax, as I believe it says in "From Here to Wow". Nice little book.

On the return, we encountered a lot of people, many headed for the backcountry sites up at the tarns. I wonder if this trail is always this popular, or was it strange coincidence? Perhaps we all just decided it was Yellow Aster Butte day. Wonderful day for it, too. Pics to follow when I switch from the phone to my computer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Right on. We likely saw you somewhere along the trail. Was certainly a great day to be out
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Lucky, you got to camp out. Must have been a gorgeous night up there. Amazing conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Is the Wake 'n Bakery the one at the Maple Falls Shell Station? Love the ridge shot, fourth from the end.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

The Wake 'n Bakery is in Glacier, just off the highway enough that you can't see it right from the road. It's a left off the highway, in the same area where you'll find a sort of restaurant / general store on the right called Graham's.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice pictures, you got a superb picture perfect day to enjoy the hike, and get some really nice shots.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

yeah, that was my first time doing that one. i found it really enjoyable, from the forest to the sort of alpine meadows up to the summit, all of the changes are interesting. great views as well.
i've heard it's spectacular for fall colors, i'm thinking we're probably nearing peak fall colours up there pretty soon here, might have to head back!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page