Stunning Colchuck Lake - Aug. 19, 2012 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man, paddling and photography
Default Stunning Colchuck Lake - Aug. 19, 2012

Brian and I stopped in Leavenworth at the start of our vacation - a very quaint Bavarian-styled town - and do a day hike to Colchuck Lake.

Colchuck Lake trail stats:
8.2 miles round trip
Elevation gain: 2,500 feet
High point: 5,800 feet
Northwest Forest Pass required
No dogs allowed

In addition to the Northwest Forest Pass, day hikers are required to self register at the trail head and carry their registration tag on their pack. As Colchuck Lake is one of two gateways to the Enchantments, we saw a number of backpacking groups heading in as well as out during our hike. To spend a night at Colchuck Lake a permit is also required which, from what I gathered from the various individuals we spoke to, are hard to come by as they are given out by a lottery system. This area is extremely fragile and the US Forest Service is doing a good job in trying to maintain the pristine beauty.

The trail starts by climbing gradually through forest beside Mountaineer Creek for about the first 3 miles. You also cross this creek a few times. We started our hike fairly early to beat the heat on the hike up. (Good choice as we saw a lot of people struggling with the heat as they were heading up while we were heading down. When we reached the lake the temperature was around 25C, and when we got back down to our car the temperature there was 36C!)

At about 2.5 miles you reach the signed intersection for Colchuck Lake (to the left) or Stuart Lake (straight ahead). Shortly after this point you cross Mountaineer Creek a couple more times then enter boulder field. Stay right through the field, staying close to the creek until you get back on the obvious trail. Now you start to climb more steeply, switchbaking onwards and upwards. Two beautiful waterfalls will give you an excuse for a break if you want. Soon you will reach some granite outcroppings that will provide you with some stunning views including Dragontail Peak, Mount Stuart and the Mountaineer Creek Valley.

One more final steep but thankfully short climb will get you to Colchuck Lake. The campsite for Colchuck Lake is about 1/4 mile prior to reaching the lake on the left. If you want to camp here the best site we found is near the outlet stream (and the dam as Colchuck Lake is actually a dammed lake).

Dragontail Peak rules over the beautiful blue waters of the lake. Aasgard Pass is the plateau just to the left of the peak at the far end of the lake. You can continue around the lake if you want on the right side, although we chose to find ourselves some rocks near the water to sunbathe and enjoy our lunch.

Info board at trailhead
One of the bridges across Mountaineer Creek
Intersection signs for Colchuck and Stuart Lakes
Mountaineer Creek near the boulder field
Cute critter
One of the waterfalls
Getting higher now
View of Mountaineer Creek valley towards Stuart Lake
At Colchuck Lake
Aasgard Pass
"Dragonslayer" and Dragontail Peak

Our hiking time including all breaks for pictures and lunch was 5 hours. If you are in the area I would definitely recommend this hike. After this sample I now want to go back and hike the Enchantments.

A little sample of Leavenworth:

Cheers!

Cheers!

"Smile, it is the key that fits the lock to everybody's heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Beautiful! I really like the dragon slayer shot Thanks for sharing
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Leavenworth, one of my favourite spots to visit. And a beautiful hike not far to boot.

Nice shots of you both by the lake.

Very nice

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Although I have been to Leavenworth a few times, it was always either with my husband, or one of my sons, or my mother - all non-hikers. Thanks for showing me what I missed, Sue! (Well, having a Hofbraeu beer and a Bavarian bratwurst was a small consolation.)

Nicely detailed report and great pictures!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Great combo: hike and Leavenworth! Looks like a beauty spot. [^] Good idea to beat the heat.

Will have to check that trail (and the brewery too!) out myself sometime.

And yes, you always have the nicest pics of you two together.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page