Lyman Lake 8/25-29 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, telemarking, filmmaking
Default Lyman Lake 8/25-29

After getting some tips here, my 10 year old daughter and I headed to Chelan Washington, had pizza at Local Myth pizzeria (highly, i mean, highly recommended; the best pizza i've had since leaving the east coast; and good beer selection), camped at 25 Mile Creek State park (not recommended; ugly, crowded) and then hopped the slow boat to Lucerne, the bus to Holden and then hiked.

A fantastic route and trip it is: day one was to Hart Lake. Not the nicest trail, lots of alder and few views, especially for Sophie who couldn't see over the alders). Day two: switchbacks to Lyman Lake. Alders forgotten in about 2 seconds after the final switchback. A fantastic spot to spend two nights and day hike to Cloudy Pass and most of they way up Cloudy Peak; a great short day hike to upper lyman and its little glacier.

From Cloudy Pass we could see a nasty looking fire to the SSW. (A note on fires: what is up with people ignoring the fire bans? How many fires will it take for the reasons behind such bans to sink in? A party at Lyman Lake had a fire going that was easily 2 meters high. This despite a total ban in the area.)

Last day we hiked the 8 or 9 miles out to Holden and caught a boat home. Not a bad day for a 10 yo, if I may be proud a moment.

We appreciated the free showers offered at Holden village. Our "tans" washed away in an instant.

A tip for anyone considering this trip: reserve your bus to Holden ahead of time. It can fill and you can be left for hours, or a day, at Lucerne waiting to go up the valley. Info is at www.holdenvillage.org

I've no idea how to attach an image, so our lovely shots of Lyman and Cloudy pass will have to wait.

Thanks to the clubtreaders who recommended the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page