Glacier Peak/ Mount Baker boulder glacier july 23 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding
Default Glacier Peak/ Mount Baker boulder glacier july 23

Photos Andy/Mike Traslin

Leaving north vancouver at eleven thirty in the morning we made a quick stop at Costco to grab a box of energy bars and some loose food ends.With two spare days the destination was Glacier peak for a ski off the summit.After over three hours of driving we reached the town of Darrington,our last stop to buy anything we forgot.From here we headed south on the mountain loop highway towards road 20 to the start of the hike to Glacier peak.With no gear on our back we decide to check out the trail we were going to use to get to basecamp.Two hours of hiking I realized it was going to take at least 6-8 hours of walking to get to basecamp.Some quick calculations in my mind had me thinking this pace will not get us to the summit and get my brother Andy back to work on time.Once back at my car we were a little dejected and tired,so we decided to drive back to Arlington for some mexican food.With full stomachs,it was decided we would leave Glacier peak for anouther trip,but instead ski/climb boulder glacier on Mount Baker.After all part of our intentions were to keep the almost four years of turns all year going.

Just after midnight I found our car camp at boulder glacier.At 4am I woke my brother Andy with my petzl light,lets just say he was not impressed.Close to our start point it was a quick drive to 2700ft on road 1130/1131.Before we got going we decided to take a quick nap which turned into over three hours of sleep.Our alpine start became 9:30.Two hours of mud ,marsh and some bushwacking we were on boulder ridge.By now our clear weather had become a whiteout.Our food break turned into my brother sleeping untill 1pm.The weather on the boulder glacier route was becoming very unpredictable,the summit bid was out.Thankful to get some ski turns and beautiful views we had to be content with what we had.
Sometimes you summit and some days you plummet,on this occasion we made it to 6000ft,over 4000ft short.
Today we were the summit or plummit team!
The pop tarts were great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Glacier peak looks pretty sweet.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey

Whatch out for the border patrol.They are watching you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

You guys are crazy! Congrats on closing on 4 years of turns all year long. it sure takes dedication!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Yes Glacier peak is beautiful hope to get up the summit one of these days!

It is August I will be looking for snow in the alpine somewhere!

Kind of of addicting pusuing turns all year!I have not figured out what it means yet!
The cool thing is it has enabled me to do some beautiful hikes,considering I did not fancy myself much of a hiker![:I]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice trip both of you. Enjoy your account of your adventures, and the experience is the reward whether you summit or plummet.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page