Climbing a Sister....June 30, 2009 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...
Default Climbing a Sister....June 30, 2009

The Twin Sisters have always looked good from afar but were they far from good. Jackie and I set out bright and early on another blue bird day to find out what kind of good they were. Besides almost being reamed by a minion border guard at Sumas we managed to venture south into the belly of the beast. After living in the States' for seven long years it is really nice to just be a tourist again.

After a few detour signs we managed to arrive at the "gated" bridge. We merrily drove over the bridge and all the way up to the quarry. Not knowing where the hell the trailhead was we asked some Dude who was working the quarry where to go....he pointed us off where he thought it was but to no avail. Finally, the water truck guy came by and he said, "This here is private property and a private road." I apologized profusely and asked him for directions which he grudgingly gave. There is a newly cleared, graded and bridged spur 4Km's up (on the right) the road from the "gated" bridge. Matt Gunn's scramble book directions are a wee bit out of date.

A perfect view of the West Ridge of North Twin Sister from the Quarry.

We drove back to the bottom and pulled out the bikes for a painful 8Km uphill ride to the start of the hike. From the trail head for the North Twin Sister it was a cake walk along a sweet track right to the start of the rock ridge.

The end of the road for the bikes and the beginning of the hike.

The sweet track up to the West Ridge.

I have done a fair amount of scrambling and a lot of rock climbing and I must say this is some of the best friggin' rock I have ever climbed. A couple hours or so of enjoyable 4th class scrambling on the West Ridge and we were atop the North Twin Sister. What a wicked view.....Mt. Baker, the South Twin Sister, San Juan Islands and a boatload of other peaks which only Dru could name.

Jackie enjoying a wicked scramble on super quality rock.

Jackie and Burndug at the summit.

Mt.Baker peeking out through the clouds.

The ever alluring South Twin Sister..definitely next on the list.

Jackie and I down climbed the ridge to the north face slopes and were surprised by the hardness of the snow pack. Jackie has pseudo-soft plastics and I have hard plastics so we managed to kick steps down a very steep north slope. I much prefer rock and Jackie much prefers snow so she was pretty happy with this down climb....I was not. After about 150 meters the slope mellowed out and from there it was a fun boot ski back towards the rock ridge.

Jackie down climbing the steep slope before things mellow out.

A really fast chilly cycle down the road to Jackie's ever trusty 4 wheel drive and a quick scraping of the mud off our faces and we were on our way. One stop before the border at a surprisingly good Mexican joint in Sumas for dinner helped us top off an excellent day in the mountains. I am really psyched to get back to climb the South Twin Sister....especially after eying it all day while climbing the North.

The North Twin Sister turned out to be much better than good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Hmm, I have only done this route when it was snowing. It would appear that it is definitely better on a sunny day
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

[8D]. I have most definitely got to check this one (and the other one) out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

High on my list - thanks for reminding me. Good picture of a great day out! [8D]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Nice [8D]! I've heard good things about those sisters
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

What no bushwack? pssssh
[]

Wicked little climb, and yes that South Twin looks nice.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, climbing, photography

Wow - great looking scramble! So is the approach 2WD?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

You can make it to the bridge with the gate with two wheel drive. We learned that you are not supposed to go over that bridge though....after that it gets a little rougher.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burndug
[ Besides almost being reamed by a minion border guard at Sumas we managed to venture south into the belly of the beast. After living in the States' for seven long years it is really nice to just be a tourist again.
Written as only you can, Burndug! The above line got a big laugh when read aloud here at home[^]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Good one!

Great rock beautiful area!

Finally went there last year!

Thanks for sharing.[]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page