Mount Baker Ski/Hike/Bike 10000ft up 10000ft down - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding
Default Mount Baker Ski/Hike/Bike 10000ft up 10000ft down

Photos Mike Traslin/Andy Traslin Tuesday June 16 2009 10-12 HOURS

With three weeks of false starts and obssesive weather studying June 16 seem to be the day to hit Mount Baker.With a small twist we would have to bring our mountain bikes,as the road to the trail head had a washout.No sleep and a 4:30 start,it was time to slowly churn the cranks of our mountain bikes,as we were burdened by our skis and climbing gear.Burden of joy our burden of pain was yet to be determined on this mini possible epic.Two low rpm hours we were at the trail head,and eager to leave our bikes at peace in the trees.Ten thousand feet of biking,hiking,skiing we were at the summit of Mount Baker.Tired and happy we paid our respects with a quick visit on the summit,as we could see our friend Mr Whiteout on the way.The ski on the Roman Headwall was corn snow on a variable crust,but pretty good if you were able to put some power into your skiing.At 1:30 pm Andy and I took a quick nap before skiing the coleman glacier.The nap turned into a 30 minute sleep,five maybe ten minutes was the intention.When I woke my dazed state realized our ski route was barely visible,with intensity I told Andy it was time to hit it.I took first lead,then Andy in a state of extreme focus led us back down to safe terrain off the glacier.At 5000ft we switched back to our hiking shoes which were stashed in the trees.Fatigued tired and barely awake at 3500ft it was a fun transition to our mountain bikes blasting down the fire road.
Anouther fun successful day in the mountains,earning your turns with your own free will is somehow rewarding.

When it is time to drop in,it is the best feeling in the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Looks like a new kind of triathalon - mt bike, hike, ski . . .

Way to create a custom adventure (and no long lines to stand in). It appears that it was a challenge (more smiles at the start!)

Thanks for posting the pics so we can follow your day.

What's next??

- G
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

Baker is like your second home it seems. Another great ski trip..in June too!

Was this just a little warm up for the TOM? You guys had a great race on Sat!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey

It was a good warm up for the Test.Mike next time don't zip up your new North Face jacket.
But it's good you wore the shiny side on the outside.Where else can you ski in June 2 hours from home.Good news the road should be fixed up sometime in mid July, so we don't have to ride up next time.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

@Baddoc48 it was a mental and physical challenge that day!New triathalon (maybe)that would be cool!Not enough competitors to compete!You never know sports are always evolving!

Thanks Lupin!Yes a warm up for the Test of Metal,except my legs were crushed and not recovered for the race!
I also had a nasty crash and lost about thirty spots![:I][B)]

Just glad I did not break any bones or bike parts!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Uh... hiking? :P I love love love the outdoors. And I like shiny things. Been hiking, mostly solo, for over 20 years. You might assume that makes me antisocial. And you would be right *g* Climbed rock and ice and mountains for many years too...

You two are absolutely insane, and by insane I mean awesome Nice TR!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Fricken sweet. Nice work.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks![:I]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

Fine tour in great style.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

Great trip....doing Baker from the trailhead to summit is already rewarding but adding the bike ride is mint[8D]!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page