Forbidden ski mountaineering traverse(N Cascades) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding
Default Forbidden ski mountaineering traverse(N Cascades)

Trip Pablo from ecuador/Mike story/photo Andy T photos April 17/18

Not wanting to sleep in for the early morning start we left at 10pm and picked up Sky at 11pm in vancouver who rode the bus with all his climbing/and ski gear.By 12am we were in burlington washington where andy and I met Pablo from ecuador who was to join us on the forbidden tour.We left Sky in Burlington,who funny enough was meeting his friend in the same place.They were off to ski Liberty Ridge on Mount Rainier.
So off Andy Pablo and I went down highway 20 to the north cascades national park where are journey began at 2100feet.These one day endurance marches are always an adventure,especially to a new area.With no sleep I admit to being tired and nervous about this route,and with a new member on our team who we just met a few hours ago,there was some team anxiety to.This is an involved trip especially when trying to get it done in one day.

16 hours later 10,000 feet of climbing and 22 miles of mountain travell we were done!(NOTE we packed our bags the same way we would for a two or three day traverse as far as food,and sleeping supplies go)Thank you for the warm meal at the end from Ben at pro guiding!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Beautiful []! Way to go
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Canoeing Back roads exploration in general I love \"me, the wife and the bush\"

nice report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Skiing, hiking, running, bouldering, mountain biking, canoeing, camping, photography, etc.

sounds epic! well done!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Frolicking in the snow, hanging out on summits, chilling out, eating, and laughing in the company of my friends.

Nice! Beautiful stuff. I wish I wasn't such a chicken when it comes to this kind of skiing. I love steep stuff.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Thanks everyone!

Have a great weekend,and go enjoy the great spring weather!

@SnowSeeker,it is all good we all have our limits,and comfort zones!

But when I think about math and getting my computer skills to []a higher level I am as chicken as they get!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey

Pablo Pucaso was never called an ahole.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

Nice trip in a fine area! I for one would appreciate a bit more info. I tried to puzzle out your route as I recognize the peaks, but I don't think your pics are in chronological order anyway. I appreciate the epic quality of your trips though[8D].
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

@EAK!
If done in three or four days!

Day 1 tour to the Quien Sabbe glacier via Cascade pass or Diamond Mine road.Camp at or near the Sharkfin col 6500ft to 7000ft.Day 2
Traverse the sharkfin col in the am then ski the boston glacier under forbidden peak.Then cross forbidden glacier hopefully in good visibility.Find a small notch,then ski a 3500ft descent TO MORAINE LAKE.SET UP CAMP TWO!Wow what a descent,good route and glacier skills required and maybe a little luck.
Day three Ski early across moraine lake and onto inspiration glacier,now you get a view of Austera peak.camp at klawatti col.
Day 4 Maybe climb el dorado peak.El dorado plateau to its southeatern edge then ski down the roush creek drainage to 3800ft.Descend steep forest trail on a climbers trail to cascade river road.

One of the photos is looking towards mount buckner!
The sleeping and car shots are when we were done the trip!A very involved trip especially when you are new to the area,and there is not a lot of info on the route we kind of on sited it and pieced the info we were given.(EPIC AND AN ADVENTURE!

MAPS fORBIDDEN PEAK - eldorado-cascade pass! I think they sell these maps at the rei!

You must have good avalanche stabilty as the ski traverse goes around very steep slopes!
Later!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

It's a great trip and thanks for the info!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Epic!!!! No mountain goats this time??
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Ha Ha!
No mountain goats!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

You misspeled Pucaso, his name was Paeblo Peecaso. Couldn't ski but drew well, some say.

Awesome trip. Forbidden is on my list. One day...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page