Wide slot-Coleman Glacier Powder-Heliotrope ridge - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey
Default Wide slot-Coleman Glacier Powder-Heliotrope ridge

Story by Andy Traslin Oct 22/08
Photos by Andy Traslin and Mike Traslin

Hiked up to the toe of the glacier and skinned up to the first slot. Went into crampon mode negotiated the next section on foot then it was back to skin mode. About 10cm of fresh snow so we we're hoping to ski the Roman headwall in boot top powder. Especially since the hassles of getting through the border. I still don't know no why the guard asked me why I had magazines in my car. The crossing wasn't that much better heading back North either.Anyways a Baker trip is always worthwhile. We continued breaking trail up the glacier. Making good time with some gusty, but bluebird weather. We got to the crevasse section just above the icefall. We climbed Baker last October. I remember it being a little thin. So we traversed all the way to left and there was no opening. We then traversed all
the way right. The bridges was pretty sketchy, especially with that little new snow just to cover it up. We turned around but got some powder skiing down the Coleman glacier. Then headed over to Heliotrope ridge for a few laps. To my surprise the slope was almost tracked out from a group of five. We used their steep skin track to access some October corn snow. The traverse out was a little interesting 10cm on glacial ice. I took a good slip with a ski edge to my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Looks like you are getting into good form, and ready for the winter. Nice clean looking snow to play with.

Nice shots !

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Every I read ATraslin and MTraslin I think "AT wrastlin'" and "Mountain wrastlin'" (like wrestling). Seems fitting and love the TR's.
[8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Hey Andy it looks like some one went for the summit the other day.And they went solo,I guess he just rolled the dice on the crux,crossing the snow bridge!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Climbing, rock/alpine or ice...hiking and that sort of stuff

Nice pics, how did the Colfax ice routes look?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Summit Master

Andy regarding the magazines at the border; Every once in awhile US and Canada Customs will check to see if you are leaving or distributing commercial printed material or promotional magazines in the country. I recall going in to the office and reviewing what was ok to distribute and what had to return with me. They occasionally check for distribution of printed copy. Just a guess.

cool Photos by the way
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Summit Master

Hmmm I wonder how long it will be before Baker no longer resembles it's Native name of "Steep white Mountain" aka "Great White Warrior"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Oh I do not wish upon anybody THE RAGE IN ANDYS EYES when they asked him about the magazines. I thought he was going to go Todd Bertuzzi on the guard!Ha Ha!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page