Searching for Yellow Asters on a Butte of a Day! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........
Default Searching for Yellow Asters on a Butte of a Day!

Its been some time since I've written a report so I thought I'd take the reins for a change.

What a lovely day it was for a trip into the alpine. I was a bit hesitant as I've not quite got my "hiking legs" back and it is only week seven after my own personal "Labour Day" but after seeing some recon pictures and with Janna's Granma practically pushing me out the door I happily found myself dusting off my pack and heading out with Tim.

We had a late, almost 2pm start as Tim had a pit-stop in Birch Bay to pick up a new toy. I'm sure he'll fill everyone in once he gets home from the road tomorrow.

My two trail companions

Various Flora but no Yellow Asters to be found yet...

Scary Doggie

Silly Doggie

Trailshots on the way

Fall colours establishing themselves

Another trailshot

Tarns below

Dog enjoying tarn.

Best dinner view around.

Artsy Larrabee & ABP shot.

Lucky bloody devils.[B)]

Sad to be leaving.

While Tim was busy taking Shuksan reflection shots at a small tarn on the ridge, Krista and I continued on ahead. A small distance from the tarn I heard a shrill yelping sound. Krista headed up the trail after the source of the sound and I called her back. The yelp sounded as if it belonged to a small dog which I thought strange as there were only a couple of hours of daylight left at the most and as it was we were pushing our own daylight limits. I put a leash on my excited lab and wandered down the trail closer to the sound I saw something different than I expected.
I was going to scrap this blurry shot (hard to take a crisp shot in fading light when your subject is a distance away and you're holding a wiggly lab on leash.) but after looking at it more closely I kind of like it. I believe Tim was able to get a better shot. I'll leave it to him to offer everyone some clarity.

<i><font size=\"2\">Look to the mountains to learn of beauty and grace, for nowhere else will you find so pure an offering.</font id=\"size2\"></i>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Scaling New Heights

You live in paradise. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures, and congratulations on the new baby daughter -- and on getting out to have some special time as a couple in a place that makes your hearts sing.

Is that a coyote or a wolf in your last picture??!??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: and Interests: Hiking, cycling, down-hill skiing, generally just being in the great outdoors, also enjoy X-country skiing, canoeing or kayaking, gardening, dancing & travelling

Glad to see you got out Jenn to enjoy the last days of summer. (I remember joining an exercise class 6 weeks after my oldest was born, and I just about died! So I'm hoping you weren't in any pain at all)

ps. Congratulations to you and Tim on your precious new baby girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Great trip Jenn, I really like the blurry picture too!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

You two have been through a lot these past 2 months. I'm glad to see you are able to make it out on a hike and spend some quality time together

That coyote shot is cool [8D]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Woo Hoo! We were hoping you two got out for some quality time yesterday- great choice too!
Don't worry Jenn, soon it will be "and baby makes three" in that tent.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, cycling, soccer,Tae Kwon-Do

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by piika

Woo Hoo! We were hoping you two got out for some quality time yesterday- great choice too!
Don't worry Jenn, soon it will be "and baby makes three" in that tent.
Umm... don't you mean 4? where's Krista supposed to sleep

Good for you guys to get out. Coyote? I think the pic is kinda cool, especially that it's howling, be interesting to see Tim's pic.

Hmmm Birch Bay... sounds expensive
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Del Sol

Glad to see you got out Jenn to enjoy the last days of summer. (I remember joining an exercise class 6 weeks after my oldest was born, and I just about died! So I'm hoping you weren't in any pain at all)

ps. Congratulations to you and Tim on your precious new baby girl.
Thanks! Not *much pain. My first after D-Day hike was Lindeman. I was surprised how much that little jaunt took out of me.[B)]

Quote:
quote:
Is that a coyote or a wolf in your last picture??!??
Coyote

Quote:
quote:soon it will be "and baby makes three" in that tent.
I'm looking forward to it! Just have to figure out the logistics of that completely - I'm sure we will. And of course we'll need one of these first:

Cause it will actually be "Baby Makes Four" with Ms Doggy along.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

You guys always have some cool thread titles, a butte of a day indeed[^]. Good to see you back out there exscape.

I like this mountain.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Nice report and pictures. The picture of the howling coyote is great (even if it's blurry). You can definately see it's there!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shaggy

Umm... don't you mean 4? where's Krista supposed to sleep

Good for you guys to get out. Coyote? I think the pic is kinda cool, especially that it's howling, be interesting to see Tim's pic.

Hmmm Birch Bay... sounds expensive
Ha! You beat me to it!

Not too expensive. You know Tim and deals - and the nice thing is that his microstock income pays for these new toys.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice one! 2:00 p.m. does appear to be a very late start - barely enough time to soak it all in. Thanks for posting and bringing back memories of last year's CT hike to Yellow Aster Butte. Good for you to get out in this beautiful fall weather. I too love the shot of the howling coyote and the fact that it's blurry rather enhances it!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Really nice report and pics Mommy Exy! Glad to see you're getting the opportunity to get out as a "couple with doggy" with the support of Granma. I really like your coyote shot - the blurriness makes it very dream-like.

Cheers!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

Wow you guys are getting out! Nice destination too. I was at Lake Ann last weekend and noticed the colors are really starting to cook down there. Thanks for the timely report as I plan on hitting the area up again very soon for some fall color photography.

Karen
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Summit Master

Nice! I still have not been there yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page