Mount Baker hike,ski ,climb Story - Aug 5 2008 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding
Default Mount Baker hike,ski ,climb Story - Aug 5 2008

Mike Traslin story and photos team Andy Traslin Mike Traslin

Well I guess I can not get enough of this mountain.August 5 turned out to be anouther great day of weather in the mountains.Andy and I left the parking lot around nine thirty am with our skis on our backs.About two hours later we reached the edge of the coleman glacier,and were happy to realize we could put our skis on and start our ascent.Right about this time I met two hostile climbers who asked where we were heading,I casually said to ski off the summit of baker,but it is eleven thirty,one of the climbers blurted out.I said we will be fine we save a lot of energy with our skis.With diligent route finding we decided to keep the ropes in our back packs on the coleman deming route.Compared to the winter and late spring I have to admit the crevasses open up huge at this time of year.By three o clock we were on the summit,still can not get enough of the views if I could, I would come up here every day.On the ski down it was spectacular corn ski,or like cutting through butter.Every was coming together flawlesley until my fun meter was on way to high,my brother had skied below,when he saw me doing a fast gs turn right for a gaping crevasse,he yelled at the top of his lungs crevasse,crevasse,at a split moment I went into auto pilot and was forced to do a mandatory air F that was close!After that it was skis on the back and a quick hike back to the car.

Fun meter I was taught in a ski guide course to use as a mantra to keep things in check when you are in the mountains,my meter was to high!It was a definite humble reminder.As for the hostile climbers turns out they were pretty cool guys just a little young and hyper.

Later have fun out there and play safe!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

Skiing in August, NICE!

Calibrate that fun meter on a regular basis so we can continue to see these sweet Traslin reports.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Frolicking in the snow, hanging out on summits, chilling out, eating, and laughing in the company of my friends.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mtraslin
Right about this time I met two hostile climbers who asked where we were heading,I casually said to ski off the summit of baker,but it is eleven thirty,one of the climbers blurted out.I said we will be fine we save a lot of energy with our skis.
A lot of energy? Nah, I don't believe you!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mtraslin
Every was coming together flawlesley until my fun meter was on way to high,my brother had skied below,when he saw me doing a fast gs turn right for a gaping crevasse,he yelled at the top of his lungs crevasse,crevasse,at a split moment I went into auto pilot and was forced to do a mandatory air F that was close!After that it was skis on the back and a quick hike back to the car.
Eeeek! Glad to hear you came out of it fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey

Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Coming back safely is what counts thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Who would have thought, skiing in August! Good thing you managed to escape falling into the crevasse.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Going back in september the rope will be out for the ascent as well as the descent.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page