Cascade Pass, Washington, August long weekend - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

Tracy, you are definitely an increasingly creative writer in your trip reports, keeps us reading and with great pics for context.

Vida, some absolutely spectacular landscape pics, and you dont over-process or at least I think you dont. I'm kind of curious though, you shoot in raw and render in photoshop or what? Love the gallery style too on flickr, very smart looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Q
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: absoltely anything outdoors, kayaking, hiking, cycling, mountain biking,

Great trip ladies!! And awesome photos!!!
The best thing of all is that we didn't get shot at once while down there. I know! Amazing isn't it? I still can't believe it. Oh yeah, it was a park we were in. That's why.
The trailhead has to be the most spectacular I've seen. Great park system too. Except for the advice. And the distant downhill campsite. Still a beautiful spot though.
So glad I didn't bring my camera. Ugh. All those photos I would have had to take.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Summit Master

WS reported:
Quote:
quote:We ran into a couple of friendly rangers who managed to convince us that the Sahale glacier camp was still really, really far and involved a brutal climb.
The world is smaller than we think?
Just before you spoke to them I was in a brief conversation with the rangers about the avalanches earlier in the year. I moved my pack out of the way so you could have "A front row seat" (It was either Seawallrunner or WS who said that) on the placement stones overlooking the pass. I recall WS sitting beside me now that I think about it.

Yes I was there with another friend at the same time. Unfortunately we were preparing to head back down in a hurry after just coming up with full packs and heading for Sahale (due to a medical problem that arose for me). So I guess we all missed our primary objective this time. I wasn't sure if it was you folks or not and unfortunately not in a position for conversation, so I apologize if I didn't speak to you ladies. We had stayed at the primitive Johanesburg Campsite at the trail head and headed up earlier in the morning.

A couple of my shots (Most from the trailhead) if it is alright with you as I'm not doing a trip report at this time. Let me know, and I can delete them.

Again apologies for not chatting to you SW,Q, and Seawall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

What a coincidence, pmichaels!! I must not have recognized you. Weird. I am not always great at recognizing people. I believe it was me who referred to a "front row seat." And of course I don't mind you posting your pictures to this thread.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

]

But I had to wonder what it was we weren't being warned about:

Lots of bullet holes on this sign. Perhaps it was about all the yahoos with guns!

Nice report and pics. Thanks for shaing.

Cheers!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 PM
DW2
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: travel/ hike/camp/ backpack/canoe/ photography/ snowshoeing/x-country ski

This is a wonderful area and the glacier area is worth the hike to. Avalanches and chunks falling from the glacier at the parking lot was a scene in itself. We had close encounters with salt starved deer and marmots too. Nice trip WS!
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: running, hiking, climbing, telemarking, biking

Thanks to all three of you for the great photos and TR. I've wanted to do that trip for many years and you've put it up near the top of my list! I have the same question as Monster, Seawallrunner, do you post-process those pictures from raw images or what? They are so good, as we have come to expect from you both here and on bivouac.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Summit Master

Gosh, thanks guys.

I just pull the jpegs out of my camera, do a tiny bit of processing on the images (clone and heal the specs of dust that have taken residence on the sensor, grrr) and I post.

That's all - I am sooooo busy these days, there's no time for 'real' processing of the photos.

Which is my excuse for not going RAW. Just no time for all the postprocessing that RAW entails.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Summit Master

I forgot to mention,
Nice trip report and pictures ladies and yes I have to agree with the rest, you really do produce some wonderful photos Seawallrunner.
cheers
Paul
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

What a nice weekend! Beautiful views! What a great destination.
Definitely worth repeat visits. Glad the weather cooperated for you all. I could sit at the TH for a long time just taking it all in.
Bet the woods and all smelled great! The desert is pretty hot and dusty, right now. Just five breaths through my mouth, down here, and my tonsils feel like little dried out leather bags. ouch! Ahhhh deep forest green, raging waters fed with melting snow. Crisp, cool nights,
great companionship, wildlife, and sleeping under the stars. yes!
It's brutally hot, ground is hard, and I can barely carry enough water to go as far as I want to go. But, it's all good!
post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
vic

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Q

The best thing of all is that we didn't get shot at once while down there. I know! Amazing isn't it? I still can't believe it. Oh yeah, it was a park we were in. That's why.
The trailhead has to be the most spectacular I've seen. Great park system too. Except for the advice. And the distant downhill campsite. Still a beautiful spot though.
So glad I didn't bring my camera. Ugh. All those photos I would have had to take.
You're probably in much more danger of getting shot in downtown Vancouver than you are hiking anywhere in the Cascades.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vic

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Q

You're probably in much more danger of getting shot in downtown Vancouver than you are hiking anywhere in the Cascades.
Tis true, but I think she was sarcastically referring to the tragic fact that a hiker was shot by a hunter on Sauk Mountain that same weekend.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, cycling, soccer,Tae Kwon-Do

Nice T/R Tracy.
Many fantastic trails down in that area.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

I just looked at this TR.. with much envy[B)]

I've always found the trails across the border for the most part much more pleasant and well maintained than ours.
I can hardly wait to get across the border again

Fantastic photos.. !!
post #30 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

lol, so I guess the answer is "no post processing" eh Cwall? Well you are right, RAWs take way too much time to process!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page